General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Mobile 1 synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Default Mobile 1 synthetic oil

Hi i have a 02 civic coupe and i wan tto switch to syn oil but i don tknow if it will hurt my engien i was soem opinions please thanx

Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Default RE: Mobile 1 synthetic oil

Hi i twil likley b fin if uyo wanna swatch frum dyno to manoil UNLSESY our enjun leaks alreadee u r welcum

Old 05-15-2006, 10:31 PM

I've been interested in this, too. I've read that you can actually find a spare horsepower or two by going synthetic, or at least get a more freely revving engine.

I've also read that you have to "scavenge" your crankcase by changing your oil and filter, running it hot a few miles to flush out the organic oil, and then doing another synthetic oil/filter change. Anybody have experience on this?

Old 05-15-2006, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

^^ say what now... ahh if i can translate right i think they meant to say, i am pretty sure with your car being newer, that you can without any issues, but if there is any oil leaks right now that it will be more prone to leaking, but other than that it shouldnt really matter as long as you take care of the car, and do routine maintenance on it it will last forever

Old 05-15-2006, 10:38 PM

What he said.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

the "say what now" was intended for the first reply.. not your's civicstealth

Old 05-15-2006, 10:49 PM

No worries. I just agree with you. "What he said" means what you said. Thanks for clearing that up.

BTW, is everyone running 5W-20? Is that just for economy? Any experiences with other viscosities?

Old 05-17-2006, 01:40 PM

In all honesty you should use the correct vescocity that the manuel says because Honda know there cars best, but some are better for different climates. Im sure you can look it up cause I cant remember but one number stands for the temp in cold that it wont freeze at (yes oil freezes for thoes who didnt know) and the other stands for the degrees that it will protect your engine at high temps. Im sure your local mechanic would know which number is what.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:44 PM

5w30.... 5 is what the viscosity is like when its Winter. 30 is what the viscosity is like when its warmed up. so its thinner to help start in the winter, but still thick enough when its warmed up. and it shouldnt hurt to use half dino and half syn. iv done it many a pinches.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:50 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: franz

Hi i twil likley b fin if uyo wanna swatch frum dyno to manoil UNLSESY our enjun leaks alreadee u r welcum
Agghhhh!!! My eyes...they BURN!!![:@]

ORIGINAL: neon3kgt

5w30.... 5 is what the viscosity is like when its Winter. 30 is what the viscosity is like when its warmed up. so its thinner to help start in the winter, but still thick enough when its warmed up. and it shouldnt hurt to use half dino and half syn. iv done it many a pinches.
Close, 5w30 flows like a 5 weight, but protects like a 30. Not many oils thicken or gain viscocity as they heat...unless they are burning.
2nd I'd personally never mix a dino and synthetic together....you may get a gooey and expensive mess. The detergents in the Synt will most likely be incompatable with the dino....causing it to break down or worse gum up. I'd also never mix brands, but that's me.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 synthetic oil