General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

mod or get a dif. car?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 AM
HCF Member
Default mod or get a dif. car?

currently driving a 95 civic lx with a d15. (feel my pain?)

Ive been looking at some mid 90's model eclipses, preludes, stealths, 240's....

I want something light, cheap and atleast 210hp. Which is close to if not exactly the listed cars above have. My civic has 190,000 on body & motor and hasnt gave me one problem. The only thing that's been replaced on this car is the radiator. Should I turbo the current engine along with other mods, drop another engine in it........ or what?

What would be my best deal getting more power?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:13 AM

How much money do you have?

If I were you and I wanted to keep the Civic, I would do a VTEC head swap, Z6 intake manifold and then turbo. You would have a decent set-up right there. HP numbers would depend on the turbo you had, how much psi you were running etc.

An Admin here (Greddy_Civic) has a Greddy TD04 (smaller turbo) at about 10 psi pushing 225whp/~200 wtq. Sounds like that would be up your alley.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
How much money do you have?

If I were you and I wanted to keep the Civic, I would do a VTEC head swap, Z6 intake manifold and then turbo. You would have a decent set-up right there. HP numbers would depend on the turbo you had, how much psi you were running etc.

An Admin here (Greddy_Civic) has a Greddy TD04 (smaller turbo) at about 10 psi pushing 225whp/~200 wtq. Sounds like that would be up your alley.
I'd like to stay below $3000...
The reason I was looking at maybe putting a b18 in it with turbo, is so I'd have a new engine since I have 191K on my d15...

About how much would what you said run? And is the admin runnin a D15?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BeitzelSi
The reason I was looking at maybe putting a b18 in it with turbo, is so I'd have a new engine since I have 191K on my d15...

My last honda was a 90 civic si hatch with a B18A1 swap non turboed non vtec, just intake and custom catback no cat and the performance was instantly noticeable from stock to swapped and had awesome reliability even while ripping on it every once in a while. im currently driving a 92 lx with the d15 id say do the b18 swap and turbo it definitely. I wouldnt do a head swap or turbo with 190k+ miles or build a d15 junk i feel your pain, just my 2 cents. Theirs a junkyard down in WV that sells motors for $400 a piece pulled and loaded in your ride.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 AM
HCF Member

I want to get a tranny too. my car now is an auto.

What would be the best engine as far as being the best bang for the buck?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM

A complete brand new bolt on kit from Greddy runs about $2500 I believe. Prices may have come down though. However, you can piece the kit together and have a reliable set-up for about $2k IMO.

Do a compression check on your vehicle to determine the "health" of the motor. If compression numbers come back good, and you are not burning any oil, you should be fine.

A swap and turbo (done correctly) will be about $3k if you do the work yourself. The price can go in upwards of $4.5k if you are paying a shop to do everything though. Keep in mind, these are just rough estimates.

The admin which I am referring to has a D16y8 VTEC SOHC motor which comes stock in the 96-00 EX's.

I want to get a tranny too. my car now is an auto.

What would be the best engine as far as being the best bang for the buck?
You also want to do a manual trans conversion? You are looking at another $1k or so. I have never done a trans swap before. I always looked for a MT when shopping for a vehicle since I never wanted the hassle of having to do this.

If you switching everything out, or planning on it at least, I would just try to save some extra money up, swap the trans, swap the motor for an LS (B18b1 or a1), then piece together a turbo kit. Check out some of the stickies in the Forced Induction section to see you what you need and what you might want when piecing a turbo kit together.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

You could swap in an H22. But I think you'd have to do all the work and have some hookups to get that under $3000. Worth it IMO

Old 10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
HCF Member

My friend recommended this:

To get a D16z6 or Y8, ycp vitara pistons, egale rods and arp head studs and "boost the hell out of it" lol He said I'd need a p28 ecu to chip it and tune it...

Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

I say do what Cvcrcr99 says.. Im also going to do a build, I am going to go with a Hatchie for light. Gutting it out, roll cage, With LS turbo and doing internals with hondata, ect... Ill be posting picks as soon as I find a good project car.

sorry that i took over hahah but back to your question, I would shop around and look for a LS full swap with MT cpu wire harnests axles ect. all B's fit. then FI, sale your engine and tranny. to get some modding money back. OR as you had said you wanted a Dimond star motor Id go with a GST, swap out Turbo for Evo Turbo

AS for your miles 190? **** my father in-law has a 89 accord about to hit 400,000 but then again hes a honda mech.. love hondas

Old 10-25-2010, 05:06 PM
HCF Member

i cant find a full LS motor and tranny on ebay.....

Can someone tell me what all I'd need to do a full LS swap?

Someone on another forum told me that it'd be a bad idea to swap/turbo because my car is auto... How hard would it be to swap to MT?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mod or get a dif. car?