General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

mod or get a dif. car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:40 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
imo, it is much easier to just sell your car and get a manual then to do a swap.

but if you're set on keeping this civic, then..
if you had a d series manual, i'd tell you to boost. but you don't
so i'd say swap in almost any b-series for cheap and then boost.
or research how to do a cheap k swap, with k20a3 or k24a1, then n/a mod or boost
Cause there's such thing as a cheap K swap

And why no H22? You better not say weight....

Old 10-26-2010, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

I'd like to know why not a H22 also?

And my friend has a 1990 si he may sell me. He wants $700 for it.. the rebuilt d16z6 has about 80K on it... I'd rebuild it again with better pistons/rods/head/header/exhaust and turbo... slap a new tranny on it... then slowly start workin on the body.. it has some slight rust.

I could possibly be able to keep my civic while I work on this too, since Ill just need to rebuild instead of doing a swap.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:27 PM

So what can you do to a d15 if you can't afford a swap? Anything without swapping parts? How far can you tune this d15? I have d15b2 dpfi, i hear alot about swapping to mpfi but i can't work on that yet. Any suggestions??

Old 10-26-2010, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

yes, it's still not "cheap" relative to the other options, but the potential is just amazing compared to any other honda engine.
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...wap/index.html
also, if you look around, you can find a lot of k swapped eg for sale under 5k, and i'm pretty sure that's within a lot of people's budget. there's actually one for sale locally in colorado too for 4.5k

and i already answered why not h22 in my earlier post. basically the same or less potential as any b series, with the setback of frm sleeves. i guess nowadays the frm sleeves aren't that big of a deal anymore since mahle has compatible pistons. and now that you mention weight, it's not that there is added weight, but the weight is shifted forward, creating worse balance for a road racer like me, though i guess not a big deal if you just drag.

but again, this is just my opinion. i would personally never go with an h22. but i admit that it is a great engine with great potential, it's just not the route i would ever go or recommend.

in the end, i'm really only a d and k fan. d for budget and k for best engine choice. it's still ultimately up to you what engine you want...

Last edited by theblackpearl; 10-26-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 91crx1.5L
So what can you do to a d15 if you can't afford a swap? Anything without swapping parts? How far can you tune this d15? I have d15b2 dpfi, i hear alot about swapping to mpfi but i can't work on that yet. Any suggestions??
you can easily get 200whp with a d-series with boost and good tune. yes, mpfi would be a wise choice. but i'll still recommend that you sell the car and get a manual. or swap for another engine that you can find cheap, and if the h22 is cheap that's fine