General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Modding and Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Default Modding and Insurance

Been wondering this for awhile.

When you mod your car (body kits, spoilers, engine mods etc.)
Does your car value go up insurance wise?
Like if you were to get in a car accident and it was the other persons fault would their company have to pay more money to equal the cost of what you paid for the part or jus the amount to get a stock part??

Old 11-21-2007, 02:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Modding and Insurance

It varies by company really...I used to have state farm and when my blazer was broken into they covered all of my stuff that got ripped off (at which time was mostly just a $4k stereo)....when I had progressive they had a cap of $1k on custom/aftermarket stuff. And a couple smaller places I've talked to when calling around didnt cover anything extra.

**Edit: just keep receipts if you can...everything in the case of an accident should be covered for what it can be replaced for...stock or aftermarket...

Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya one of those things you REALY need to talk to your insurance company about....
i know some places give discounts for alarms and theft prevention devices BUT i know mine farmbuero here doesnt give me any kinda discount but multicar discount which i dont think is much......
and i have to claim additional stuff before they will pay for them which ive realy wanted to do BUT i havent set up a appointment to talk to my insurance guy cause he is usualy not thier when i get off work. but i have been thinking of checking out some other car insurance places lately. cause money is geting tied up quickly with my vehicles and i have 4 vehicles i ensure so i should be able to get a discount where ever i go from a multivehicle.LOL

Old 11-21-2007, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

you really need to watch out on moddedin urengine n havin insurance, Most insurance companys will not insure u if u have high moddeson ur car, I know this for a fact, an soo ull most likley have to tellthem its just a stock car, an hope nothin happens to it. Im not sure if the other guys insurance(the guy that hits you) would pay for it, cause ur insaurnce might get involed.. ive heard that if u get body kits, spoilers, styems in ur car they replace ithat stuff if u have recipts.Ive also heard if u show ur insance company recipts on engine mods the might give u half on everythin, i have yet tofind any insurance company that will take me with amodded car.

so ur question to will ur value of ur car go up if u mod it ...to the insurance companys eyes....im sayin NO

if u find a company that will take modded cars please let me know

Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If it's the other guy's fault, the other guy or his insurance has to pay to put your car back how it was just before the crash, regardless of the amount (up to the policy limit of course). But if your company is paying theywill only pay as if the car were stock unless your policy is specifically written to cover more.

The problem is that it can be very hard to get money from the other guy's company especially for things that your company won't be covering in any case.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:29 PM

thanks for all the replies!
ill definetly be including these questions when searching for an insurance company