General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

more coilover help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 PM
HCF Member
Default more coilover help

i've finally decided what my next upgrade is going be so im going to start saving up for coilovers. but i still need some more input on setups before i actually go for it so ima try n soak up as much info as i can until i have enough $$$. as of now, my car is my daily driver, i take it out on some windy backroads every once n a while for fun and i want to lower it more to about 2 inches. as for price range, im looking to spend under $1000 maybe, anything good/reliable yet affordable. feedback is greatly appreciated

i need help with spring rates too lol

Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 AM
HCF Member

right now i got my eye set on either tein basics or the megan ez series. anyone with feedback on those?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:50 PM

With $1000 as your budget limit, you have a large number of choices. With that budget and what you're looking for out of your suspension, I'd stay away from anything Tein and Megan.

The absolute best and cheapest option that would work well for what you're looking for would be the Progress CS-2 coilovers. They'll easily give you a 2" drop all around while providing relatively good ride quality. They can be had for around $550 shipped and Progress is a top notch company with years of professional racing history.

If you have a couple hundred extra to spend, the Koni and Ground-Control combo is very good. This setup has been widely used on Hondas, Miatas, BMW's, etc.. with years of racing history. They come with a lifetime warranty and are very versatile. They can be had for around $700-750 shipped. I've personally had this setup on my car for 4+ years of street driving and racing abuse with zero problems. Highly recommened.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM
HCF Member

iv been looking into those for a while now n i hear they're pretty legit, especially for their price. i was actually about to post a new thread asking about those so thanks for the reply haha

Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

If you were making the upgrade from springs to full coilovers, what else would you need to do for it to run properly? Like any steering adjustments or whatever? Sorry, I'm still new to the whole Honda game haha

Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 AM
HCF Member

you'll need to get an alignment afterwards, thats it. Make sure its at the ride height that you want it at, of course. any changes you make to ride height will affect your alignment, so pick a height and go with it.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by jayrdee
If you were making the upgrade from springs to full coilovers, what else would you need to do for it to run properly? Like any steering adjustments or whatever? Sorry, I'm still new to the whole Honda game haha
Any of those suspension products I mentioned should come with everything you need for installation. After installation and setting your ride height, you will need to get an alignment done. If you are not extremely low, don't worry about getting a camber kit. Also remember that if you make any adjustments to your ride height after you have had an alignment done, you will need to have another alignment done. Changing ride height will mess up your toe settings and will mean you need to get your suspension re-aligned.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:11 PM
HCF Member

thanks for the info! but turns out i cant get em. i have some gram lights that are '17s (correct me if im wrong) but i think the progress shocks are made 1 inch shorter than stock so with the height drop im looking for, thatd be a real problem. haha

Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by jayrdee
thanks for the info! but turns out i cant get em. i have some gram lights that are '17s (correct me if im wrong) but i think the progress shocks are made 1 inch shorter than stock so with the height drop im looking for, thatd be a real problem. haha
The diameter of the wheel doesn't matter... If you have the correct tire size, your overall diameter(wheel and tire) should be close to the OE wheel/tire diameter. So the difference is insignificant.

The shock body of the Progress shocks is shorter than the OE shock body. This allows for more shaft travel when lowering the car, which is a good thing. It does not have a direct affect on ride height. Where you set the height of the coilover spring perch is what determines your ride height. And since they are adjustable, you can set it to what ever ride height you want so long as you still have a decent amount of suspension travel and enough clearance that you don't rub your tires on your fenders.

You'll find this to be the case with most other coilovers so clearly it is ok that the shock body is shorter than the stock ones.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

But the thing is, I'm running 205/40 '17s and they're bigger than my stock wheels. I measured the distance between the wheel and fender and with the drop, if im on my '17s theyd be literally inside the fender. So basically I'm thinking my wheels are too big for the drop im going for?

Quick Reply: more coilover help