General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

is this MPG normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Banned
Default is this MPG normal?

93 Honda Civic EX 4 speed auto 2 door coupe
117,000 miles

I average around 30MPG but i'm wondering if that is the lower end of the scale or what.
I believe it has the 1.6 vtec.
My dad's chevy has a 2.2L DOHC and bigger tires and gets the same mileage as me.

Is there anything at this mileage and age to replace that will make any difference? It has new air filter but i'm wondering if fuel filter will or ignition system will make any difference. I have no complaints in the power department for this engine size and car. It just seems like it should get a little better MPG with littler tires and engine.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Default RE: is this MPG normal?

well i know iof u have an intake u get better gas miliage but also u can go to advance discount or peps boys and u can buy Lucas Fuel system / injector clearners. what u do is each time i fill up u pour the lucas in the same place where u pump ur gas

Old 06-23-2007, 09:53 AM
HCF Member

is that city or hwy? i have 95 honda civic dx .. i get about 31/38..

Old 06-23-2007, 10:35 AM
HCF Member

i get about 32 in my car (details in sig)... i heard theres this stuff called tribotech supposed to give u way better gas mileage..dunno if they still sell it but look into it. ur supposed to put it in after u get an oil change, id check it out.

also the fact that ur car is auto u wont be gettin as good of gas mileage.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:36 AM

wat my car is manual but i swear i get the worst gas miliage but i guess thats becasue i have bad road rage and i change gear sometime at 3/ 3.5 rpm ( i like to hear my stockmuffler roar). but yeah they say if u buy one of those gas/injecor clearner eahc time u fill up u should get much much better gas milage. also having the right amount of air in ur car tire that helps a little too

Old 06-23-2007, 01:30 PM

who does your maintenacne? when were the spark plugs and wires changed? seafoam can also help.

but since your car is an auto it will not get the best mileage. and i say 30mpg is pretty good.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

30 mpg is that with the red light on? i know for the longest time in one of my previous cars i did not realize my red light ment i had 1.75 gal left i thought it was always 1 so i was robbing myself of what i thought would be better mileage. i have no idea if this makes any sense?? lol

Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Banned

I think I understand.
I usually just divide the total miles driven by the gallons I put in. I think it's best to let it go through at least a half tank before I calculate because I have gotten 35-36 before but when I let it use several gallons, then it's about 30-31.

I do my own maintaince. The fuel filter looks pretty old but the car doesn't seem to be affected by it. I don't want to mess with the plugs/wires until I start noticing a miss. Right now it runs pretty good.

What about the O2 sensor? Does it matter that much?

Anyways, I don't mind 30 MPG too much, just if it's possible to get better I'd like to try it. I used to drive a 5.0L truck around which got about 14-15 which really sucked because I spent a lot of money just getting places and not having anything to spend when I got there. It was fun, however, to enjoy the extra torque and the loud exhaust all the time . You gotta pay to play I guess[&o]

Old 06-23-2007, 08:00 PM

seafoam definitly is a good product. 30mpg isnt that bad though man

Old 06-23-2007, 08:54 PM
HCF Member

I have a 95 CX 5spd, with no mods, and I average about 36 mpgcity.

I'd say 30mpg would be a bit low for my car, but you have VTEC, and an auto trans, so 30 should be decent in your car. If you want to improve the mileage, go for a tune up. That should give you better mileage, and try to cut down on the road rage. Try driving like an old lady, and you'll be suprised when you go to fill up.

Quick Reply: is this MPG normal?