General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

MSD upgrade

Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 PM
HCF Member
Default MSD upgrade

has anyone done the MSD cap and rotor with the external coil thing. they have them on ebay for $110 shipped. also is there anything special about this cap or would a stock cap and rotor work. my thought was if the stock cap and rotor will work, i would just get a blaster coil and pull the factory coil out.

here is a link to what im talkin about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00...spagenameZWDVW

Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: MSD upgrade

I have also been considering the MSD cap/coil set...but its on an otherwise stock motor...how much would I really gain (other then a few tenths of a second due to a lighter wallet?)

Old 04-20-2008, 06:00 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Honestly, touching the ignition on a civic is pretty much pointless IMO... As far as I'm concerned, unless you have a 700hp+ monster, the stock ignition will work just fine.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:09 AM
HCF Member

unless you're using f/i or a high revving all motor application, the stock ignition is plenty, if anything just replace with oem.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:51 AM
HCF Member

ok, i understand your view on that. but heres why i was asking. we spend all this money for an intake and exhaust for a minimal power gain, but if you add more power to the spark you get a cleaner burn which results in more power. however minimal, it all adds up in the grand scheme of things. a cleaner burn should also increase fuel milage. besides, whats the point in oversized plug wires if you're not gonna put more power to them?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Super Cereal Admin

there is nothing wrong with the stock ignition, and it can safely support very large amounts of power. We upgrade intakes, headers, and exhausts because the stock ones are restrictive. This isn't the case with the ignition though, so there's really no point in upgrading any part of the ignition (plugs, wires, cap, whatever), since you really won't gain anything despite what advertisements tell you. The best plugs and wires for an all-motor civic are the stock ones, and the same goes for the rest of the ignition.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

If you call it an "external coil thing" and you don't know why you need a modified cap for then I guarantee that you do not have a setup that needs an MSD ignition. I didn't notice a power gain with my ignition either but I haven't checked fuel mileage. Like they said, unless you have a high demanding setup like a lot of boost or nitrous then stock ignition is fine, spend that money on something else that is proven to increase power.

Reaper, if you are talking about a built all motor setup then you need colder plugs than stock. I don't think you are but I just want to clarify that.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Super Cereal Admin

^ yeah, I meant something along the lines of i/h/e, something like what most people have

and +1 on saving the money for something proven to work... Big EZ - do you have a header yet? You can pick up a Megan Racing or a Hedman Chikara header for something like $150.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:18 PM
HCF Member

yes i have a header. i put a header back exhaust on it just after i bought it. the stock one that was on it was missing the muffler and had a hole in the intermediate pipe and i noticed a crack in the stock manifold when i pulled it off.

my only reason for questioning the MSD thing was because im also building a n/a 350 for my camaro, and with the build up im doing i will have about 430bhp, and i was going to go with a straight up HEI setup, but everyone i talked to strongly suggested a msd box and a coil. personally i didnt think 430hp was that much out of a v8 but like i said, it was strongly suggested. however i understand where you all are comming from. so i think i will take your advice and not do it.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

Actually i think you would notice a difference if you put it on a camaro (especially if its an older one in need of a tuneup)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSD upgrade