General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

is my 98 civic ex vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by gwl
It should be not unless it was swapped out.
Huh?

double-negatives are confusing... were you saying it's VTEC or not?

Originally Posted by FlipHKD720
why jsut a b18b?
duh... because there's only two Honda engines... D16Y8's and B18B's. lol
WTF

Old 12-13-2008, 07:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by munkeewrench23
yes the ex has a d16y8 sigle over head cam vtec motor but you really can feel the vtec kick in as much as a dual over head cam vtec motor like the b18c or b16a...for some reason the valve covers on the single cam dont say vtec on it...just says honda but you can change it using a d16z6 valve cover those say vtec on it...
you cant feel it the same as a b18c b16a. the vtec on a SOHC is only on the intake valves and not on the exhaust valves. the DOHC is both intake an exhaust vtec. there for more power produced from more air on the intake side and letting it out faster and easier with the exhaust side. listen to these 2 clips
SOHC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dz8Th0r0OU
DOHC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NaIY_C5s9c

Old 12-13-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by munkeewrench23
yes the ex has a d16y8 sigle over head cam vtec motor but you really can feel the vtec kick in as much as a dual over head cam vtec motor like the b18c or b16a...for some reason the valve covers on the single cam dont say vtec on it...just says honda but you can change it using a d16z6 valve cover those say vtec on it...
1. VTEC should never be felt on any engine... if you physically feel VTEC, it is engaging at the wrong point. VTEC is a smooth transition.
2. If you could feel VTEC, it would be felt on a DOHC more than a SOHC.
3. Not all D16Z6 valve covers say "VTEC" on them.

Originally Posted by 98gsr-turbo
you cant feel it the same as a b18c b16a. the vtec on a SOHC is only on the intake valves and not on the exhaust valves. the DOHC is both intake an exhaust vtec. there for more power produced from more air on the intake side and letting it out faster and easier with the exhaust side. listen to these 2 clips
SOHC
DOHC

1. Once again, you don't feel VTEC
2. How are you going to compare a bone stock SOHC to what looks to be a modded DOHC?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:04 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
1. VTEC should never be felt on any engine... if you physically feel VTEC, it is engaging at the wrong point. VTEC is a smooth transition.
2. If you could feel VTEC, it would be felt on a DOHC more than a SOHC.
3. Not all D16Z6 valve covers say "VTEC" on them.

1. Once again, you don't feel VTEC
2. How are you going to compare a bone stock SOHC to what looks to be a modded DOHC?
you DO feel the POWER difference in the POWERBAND from anywhere from 4400 rpm to 8100 rpm trust me i know my VTEC wasnt engaging for awhile and when it did it pulled harder than when it didnt.

also when you engine isnt warmed up VTEC doesnt engage until normal opperating temp. you could go up to red line with NO VTEC at one point and the next time you redline it VTEC engages and you can feel the POWER DIFFERENCE

Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 PM

you can feel the POWER DIFFERENCE
In your original post you were replying to munkeewrench who said "you really can feel the vtec kick in as much as a dual over head cam vtec motor like the b18c or b16a." You replied and said "you cant feel it the same as a b18c b16a."

Using logic, one would derive that if you are replying to him talking about feeling VTEC kick in, you would also be talking about feeling VTEC kick in. You never previously mentioned a power difference, you just said you could feel VTEC.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:55 AM
HCF Member

o shut the **** up with all your gay technical bs. damn i was just ****in statin that the SOHC is a waste of a motor (in my opinion) STOP WITH ALL THE TECHNICAL BS its really annoying at this point

Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 AM
HCF Member

ur a waist of time u think cuz u got a dohc ur a hard azz lol u must not know anything about hondas or any car for that matter

Old 12-14-2008, 12:06 PM

o shut the **** up with all your gay technical bs. damn i was just ****in statin that the SOHC is a waste of a motor (in my opinion) STOP WITH ALL THE TECHNICAL BS its really annoying at this point
So it's technical to use common sense?

Old 12-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Super Cereal Admin

98gsr, calm down. Respect the opinions of others on this forum or don't post. Last time I checked technical info was good info. Keep things civil and respectful and we won't have any problems

Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

SOHC
DOHC

thats what i meant to say you can not hear the vtec kick in on a sohc as much as you would on a dohc motor. my bad!

Quick Reply: is my 98 civic ex vtec?