General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

My 98 Civic, recently purchased

Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Question My 98 Civic, recently purchased

Hello, Civic enthusiasts:

Am a newbie here. First time posting.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Honda Civic 1998 with 122 K. I had heard how they are great cars and that in part seduced me to buy this one. Not that it's bad, it runs great but it needs repairs.

I had brought it to a mechanic I knew before I bought it and he checked it out on his lift and okayed the purchase, but told me about an oil seal leak that was apparent because the pan was sweating. He said he could fix it for about $500.

However, when I told him I bought it, he worked up a proposed repair bill more than twice what he had said, in the neighborhood of $1200. Also, as I've driven it more, I realized there's a suspension issue and the brakes seems a bit low. So, I brought it to Pep boys. They said it needs front brakes or at least is going to need them soon, not really a surprise. They also said I need a right rear strut but that I should get both fixed because when one goes, the other usually follows, also expected. And they recommended installing a new timing belt as I don't know whether this was ever changed, standard rec. In addition, I found that some of the lights, the trunk light and third brake light aren't working and it's because a lot of wires in the trunk area were disconnected. Because of this, the car radio speakers in the rear don't work. So, I decided I'd get a new radio if I keep the car and let the installer reconnect everything. Finally, there's the issue of cosmetics ... it needs a paint job because of scratches and nicks and paint fading on a few sections, though in many sections of the car the paint is like new.

Whoopee do, $2500 to get it into mint condition. What am I to do? I brought it to a dealer and he would only give me $1100 on a trade. I'm embarrassed to say I paid $2500 ... the Blue Book value for good condition is $2695, but I guess you can't say it's in good condition or even fair, which is $2200 Blue Book. I'm also worried about the transmission because occasionally, there's a hesitation in 2nd or third gear, though the mechanic at Pep Boys test drove it and thought it was fine.

One other thing that has begun to annoy me is that the manual window on the driver's side is difficult to roll up ... wonder if it was hit once ... though the Vin check showed no accidents. Guess it could've been bumped in a parking lot and never reported. Could always get a new door. Wonder how much that would cost, or is that fixable in some other way?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Last edited by tomcalwriter; 10-06-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: clarity, additions
Old 10-06-2010, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

I think it would be hard to put what the car is worth into repairs especially when the transmission is acting up. I own a '98 Civic DX (173,393 miles on it now) and my transmission hesitates in second/third too. I've taken it to two different transmission places and they both suggested either a rebuild ($2300-2700) or a replacement with a rebuilt transmission (around $2000). My drivers side window is also hard to roll up and it never stays completely rolled up. The clear coat (or lack there of) was peeling off so I had the whole car repainted for $675.

If you have the money and like these cars, I'd say fix it up, but if you don't have the money laying around and you just need a car that will get you from where you are to where you want to go, then I'd just sell/trade it for something that is less of a headache.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

I bet you can do most of the work yourself.

The radio wiring shouldn't be too hard, even if you have to run new wire.

Even replacing the engine and transmission is doable, especially with friends lol. It'll put the car out of commission for a while though (obviously).

First thing you should do is buy a Haynes manual or something like it. I bet you can find the full official Honda Service Manual online (or if anyone here has a link, chime in)