General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

My brother thinks a b16 is better then a gsr

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Default My brother thinks a b16 is better then a gsr

He said its better because the heads flow better. I tried pulling number and everything but he just kept saying im wrong, who right? Also if im right can someone tell me how the b18 is better then the b16 in everyway? kinda like a pros and cons list. He also says the gsr motor is overrated and if he got a LS vtec it would be better for way cheaper. Im new to cars so there is a good chance im wrong.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Default RE: My brother thinks a b16 is better then a gsr

LS/Vtec and a B16 are two completly different things dude...

Old 11-02-2007, 07:22 PM
HCF Member

I think a monkey is better than your brother, but then, what do I know.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

well lets see as the old saying goes there is no replacement for displacement. Now anymore alot of people will say that is not true becasue a smaller motor can be more efficient but when compaing two motors that are the same aside from size, it could probably be more true (assuming were comparing the B16 and GSR) But the B16 is more boost friendly. However the GSR has more torque. If you have not picked it up yet they both have there high and low points Personally I have a GSR and love it.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:11 PM
HCF Member

Ok seeing as most of the people decided to make smart comments instead of actually responding with facts (as seems to be the trend around here) I'll try to let you know some info. There was a jdm b16 that made 184 hp, whereas the jdm gsr motor makes 180. However, the gsr has more torque and would in practical purposes most likely be faster than a jdm b16 in the same car. And with regards to the ls/vtec, yes, they can be faster than a gsr for a cheaper price, but do to the fact that the ls block doesn't like to rev high and wasn't built for vtec, the reliability of an ls/vtec is usually much less reliable than a gsr motor. (I have heard of some ls/vtecs running for quite a while, but they have to be tuned well and most of them don't last for crap). Thanks to sandrider for actually responding to the question.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

a b16 type-r head will outflow a gsr head, if your doing a b20vtec or lsvtec its the head to go with, stock b16 motors just plain have no torque, the gsr would be better stock all motor because of the little extra torque it produces

Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Snail'n Admin

ORIGINAL: mybrokenblinker

Ok seeing as most of the people decided to make smart comments instead of actually responding with facts (as seems to be the trend around here)
^ +1 however, the statements about an ls/vtec are not entirely true. If you do you research and spend the time and money on a tune and good parts, an ls/vtec can be a very reliable engine. If you research, a lot of the reliable ls/vtec engines are usually sleeved and are somewhat built (i.e. rods pistons cams etc) There are many people who get a lot of miles out of them and are entirely happy. If you are just going to swap the vtec head, whether its a b18 or b16, onto an ls block, then it will probably be unreliable, especially without a good tune (even though it's not as simple as "just" swapping the heads).

Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 PM

There was a jdm b16 that made 184 hp, whereas the jdm gsr motor makes 180. However, the gsr has more torque and would in practical purposes most likely be faster than a jdm b16 in the same car.
There was also a B18 that made 195hp, and since this "JDM B16" that you're talking about is a type R motor, I think it's more fair to compair it to it's B18 type R counterpart, not the GSR. And I wasn't making a smart comment, I was actually tellinghim a fact, since if he bought a B16 hewould not have an LS/Vtec, he'd have a B16.

Anyway, YES, the GSR makes better numbers than a B16 easily, but a B18B with a B16 head (which isnot a b16, it's an LS/Vtec) also makes some impressive numbers at a lower budget.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:45 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Everyday Getaway

There was a jdm b16 that made 184 hp, whereas the jdm gsr motor makes 180. However, the gsr has more torque and would in practical purposes most likely be faster than a jdm b16 in the same car.
There was also a B18 that made 195hp
He asked about it compared to a GSR. and you somewhat addressed the topic, my main beef wasn't with you sorry.

Greddy_Civic: I think I mentioned that there are some reliable ls/vtec engines, but as I mentioned, they are the exception, not the norm. I think most people get only about a year on average from most of the people i've talked to. Maybe that's just cuz most of the people I've heard talk about them are the ones that things go wrong for, I'm just saying it will NOT be as reliable as a stock motor.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:56 AM
HCF Member

in my opinion i like the b16 better due to the fact that it revs faster then a the gsr. My buddys race all the time jdm b16 crx, usdm gsr 93 coupe the rex eats him up in every aspect from a roll,dig he's only launching at like 1500 rpm. yes the rex is lighter but even so with the torque diff you would expect the gsr to give a run for the money and it doesnt.

Quick Reply: My brother thinks a b16 is better then a gsr