General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

My civic vs a deer

Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Thumbs down My civic vs a deer

I was driving the backroads yesterday morning doing about 55mph and a deer ran out in front of me. The treeline was only 10 feet from the ditch, and as luck would have it, the deer came bounding full speed out of the woods right at the exact moment I drove around a corner. I didn't even have time to hit the brakes, and I hit the deer just as it was beginning a jump in the middle of the road. The hood of the car hit the back side of the deer, launching it 20 feet in the air, and the deer did at least 4 or 5 full flips before landing in the the trees on the other side of the road. If I would have been going any slower, the deer probably would have came right through the windshield instead of getting launched like it did. I made it out without a scratch, but the civic didn't do so well. The hood was totally crushed, putting a hole in the top of the radiator that was spewing coolant, both headlights were destroyed, and the grill was smashed. I was able to limp back to my place and after assessing the damage, I hopped in the Titan and headed to the junkyard. I found a hood for $50 and a grille for $15, and I picked up a new radiator and some coolant from auto machinery. Unfortunately nobody had any headlights in stock, so I had to order some from Amazon for $65. I picked up a buddy and a few beers + a few hours later we had the front end of the car torn apart and the radiator replaced. We had to do some serious reconstructive bending on the front cross members that hold the grille, radiator, and headlights using my hi-lift jack and some wood. We got the new hood installed and got the grille put on to the bumper. We hooked up the coolant and tranny fluid lines, filled up the radiator and fired it up. We tested it out and everything seems to work fine, so now just to slap on some new headlights and she's pretty much good to go. Well I guess I also need to figure out what to do about the fact that the hood is silver and the car is green lol. Anyway, I'll get some pics of the damage and reconstruction up once I find the cord to hook my camera up to the computer.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

that sucks.. atleast ur getting it fixed tho, it could have been worse.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 AM
HCF Member

How many days did it take to you get it as it sits now? sounds like you dont play games lol! I like you.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:08 AM

It happened yesterday at 10am. By 2pm I had all the parts rounded up, so we tore everything apart and got stuff started right away. We worked until 6:30pm, but had to stop because it got dark and I don't have a garage. Now she's sitting in my driveway up on some ramps with everything done except the bumper is off because I still need to put the headlights in. No sense in wasting time. I was hoping to find a set of headlights around town and have it back on the road today, but no such luck. I guess I have to wait 2 weeks for Amazon to ship me the headlights unless I want to overpay by a couple hundred dollars and get them locally. Not really worth it considering I only paid $750 for the car lol. I will just have to suck it up and drive the Titan to and from work for the next couple weeks. Maybe I should have just overpaid considering the amount of gas I will be wasting in the T

Last edited by NBhunter80; 03-11-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

Lol you could get them in a week from ebay :P

Old 03-11-2010, 07:13 AM

Lol you could get them in a week from ebay :P
Yeah, but they wanted $75 dollars for shipping alone to ship them to Canada plus you get nailed with brokerage fees at the border. In total it made the deal much more expensive than Amazon once you factor in them raping you in the **** for shipping.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Here's some pics of the damage

Name:  truck10016.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  229.4 KB
Name:  truck10017.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  212.7 KB

Name:  truck10020.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  211.1 KB
Name:  truck10023.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  230.9 KB

Old 03-11-2010, 10:43 AM
HCF Member

that doesnt look too bad, could have been worst. wheres pics with the damage fixed so far

Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 AM
HCF Member

Damn. I live in an area with a lot of deer.. hope that doesnt happen to me.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:21 PM
HCF Member

got any deer meat u wanna send me?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My civic vs a deer