General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Is my civic worth it? 2000 EX with JRSC

Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Default Is my civic worth it? 2000 EX with JRSC

I recently baught a 2000 honda civic EX. This car has about 70,000 miles on the motor and car. No rust and very very clean car.

The reason that i baught the car was ooo it has a supercharger on it. lol. Well some of the stuff is missing like cruse control, window washer tank, power stearing, air con, orignal steering wheel, some other odds and end things to make daily driving that much better.

This car is very cool in the looks of it. I love driving it. It seems like a little go cart with some really cool power under the hood. Def when the JRSC is making its beast mode sound. lol.

So do you guys think that this car is worth sticking some money into the motor and some coilovers and bla bla bla to really make this car a beast.

The motor is the D16Y8 motor with a manual trans. Fitted with JRSC and BTC kit. Also it has a Vtec controller.

Is this car worth putting some money into? If so what kind of things should I look into?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Get better tuning ASAP if you do not have a stand alone ECU. Usually a chipped P28 is best.

Stock injectors? If so, upgrade them along with the tune. Get a Walbro fuel pump if you still have the stock set-up.

Make sure you keep your IATs in check. I used to spray methanol to help keep the temps down.

If it is a clean car and you do not mind staying under 200 whp, then go for it. I miss my D series JRSC set-up ALOT. I had everything to go with 11.5:1 compression, stage 2 Bisimoto camshaft, all of the supporting mods and a bare block to build up while I chilled with the supercharged stock block. Once I upgraded the pulley to 9psi, I planned on making around 240whp/200wtq.

You can probably get right around 200 whp on 7psi with the M45 blower on a higher compression, cammed motor with good tuning. You better be spraying methanol or using E85 if you go to a higher PSI pulley, or with a build like I just mentioned.

EDIT - Have you fixed that wiring harness issue by chance?

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 06-19-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 PM

I did get the wire harness worked out. But looking to buy a wire harness that has been not chopped and fixed like my wire harness.

What do you mean iat in check?

Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 AM

Intake air temperatures. The Supercharger churns up the air as it is going through making it extremely hot and prone to detonation. Nothing will fix it except spraying methanol, or getting an aftercooler set-up.

In October-ish weather in the NE (~60 F ambient), my IATs were around 110 F at WOT. Wayyyyyy too high of course. The summer was even worse. Started spraying meth at 4 psi, and the temps starting dropping down to around 80 F at WOT.

Methanol also helps you save gas; just a little, but it is nice to know

Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

I'd love to have a supercharged D. Personally, I'd go with an aftercooler setup because I feel like it would be less of a hassle, but I'm sure it'll be more expensive than a simple meth setup.

But back to your original question - "...is it worth it?" I think that depends on the overall shape of the car. Has it been in any accidents? Are all the body panels straight? Lets see some pictures. From your description, it sounds pretty stripped down. Personally, I like having power steering on a DD...but A/c doesn't matter as much. Sure, it would be nice, but I've lived without it my whole life (never owned a "nice" car). I've driven a car without power steering, and it's just not worth the gains in my opinion...however it does make you feel more in contact with the ground, as if you have more control.

Anyways, lets see some pictures of this beast. That'll help alot.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Shandles
I'd love to have a supercharged D. Personally, I'd go with an aftercooler setup because I feel like it would be less of a hassle, but I'm sure it'll be more expensive than a simple meth setup.
Hell, yea it is much more expensive for an aftercooler set-up seeing as you have to send the entire manifold in to a company down in Florida for it to be modified for the after cooler from what I have seen. The meth kit I was running cost me about $400 tops. Of course, you have to monitor the meth levels and re-fill as needed.

I used windshield washer fluid as my "meth" since it was cheap and available at a local Kmart. Make sure you do not run anything which has de-bugger or de-icer in it.

But back to your original question - "...is it worth it?" I think that depends on the overall shape of the car. Has it been in any accidents? Are all the body panels straight? Lets see some pictures. From your description, it sounds pretty stripped down. Personally, I like having power steering on a DD...but A/c doesn't matter as much. Sure, it would be nice, but I've lived without it my whole life (never owned a "nice" car). I've driven a car without power steering, and it's just not worth the gains in my opinion...however it does make you feel more in contact with the ground, as if you have more control.
If he has P/S (didn't re-read the thread), I would like to see the clearance between the belt and the return line for the P/S.

Anyways, lets see some pictures of this beast. That'll help alot.
+9876543479654

Old 06-20-2012, 05:25 PM

I'm sending this all from my Droid. Ill try to get pictures on here as soon as I can.

As far as the Meth kit. Can some one send me in the right direction to find some information on this as well as were to buy one?

This forum is the bomb. Thank you guys fir all of the info. really looking forward to put this car on the road.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM

Alcoholinjectionsystems.com is where got my kit from. Lifetime waranty i believe. You would want at least a 4 qt reservoir. Mount that in the trunk. If you are serious about all this, make a project thread!

I will see if i can dig up some old photos for you of my setup.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Wow. 650.00 for the kit. That's a little spendy. There's got to be a way to piece it together for a little cheaper than that. But but to keep the temp down and make the car more reliable. Then I'm down for it. Going to do some mad research on this.

Would like to do a under the hood since there is under the hood. Lol.

This will give me more HP also? Is there some upgrades I should do? Fuel rail, injector, fuel pump, throttle body, good ram air, and headers?

There's is a DC header on it I think and some off brand ram air on it.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 PM

IMO, the best set-up would be a 3" pipe with a velocity stack on the intake. A nice 4-1 header for the exhaust with 2.5" piping.

With the supercharger, it is a good idea to get a walbro fuel pump. your tuner will be able to tell you if you need bigger injectors. If you are doing it yourself, I would suggest bigger injectors if you reach ~85% duty cycle or more. Fuel rail is not needed, but a nice bling factor item

I had a 60mm TB, but whatever you do get, make sure to remove that S-pipe and port match it with the TB opening.

Meth will allow you to run more timing essentially making more power. You will have a less chance of detonation, too.