General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

My Dealership Experience Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Default My Dealership Experience Today

I thought within the next couple of weeks I would be the proud owner of a 2009 Civic EX-L, but about 2 hours at the dealership has shown me that I won't be.

I don't know what others are experiencing at other dealerships in talking down the price, but in over an hour of haggling, I manage to knock off $625.00 from their price, and that was after talking to the sales manager himself. The $625 was the low of the low and he wasn't willing to go any further, period.

I started at $19k and the guy came back and circled the MSRP and said that's all we can do. I laughed, and said I'm not paying MSRP, and after some more talking I went up to $20k. The guy came back and said they'll knock $400 off, which would make it $21,025. I started getting aggravated but kept my cool, and I said they have to come below $21k. The sales manager himself came over to talk to me and said, "I don't want to insult you by telling you $20,999, but that's what I'm thinking."

After that, I asked him to give me an OTD price at their lowest of low which ended up being $600 below MSRP ($20,800).

OTD was $23,049.86 but did not include location charges (which I thought were included in the $21,425 price like it says on Honda's website) which could range from $200-$500, or the plate.

So, a grand total of ~$23,700 to take the car home, which caused me to walk away.

The sense I got from the dealership was that they had an elitist attitude, because they told me they sell all day long for MSRP and they don't have to come down from it. Unfortunately, too many people are willing to play ball with their rules and that effects everyone.

Maybe if gas prices stay low and I don't buy something else before winter sets in they'll stop selling so well and I can pick one up next year, but I'm not hopeful.

Anyway, that's my rant, and I apologize if it sounds like I'm whining, but after all my research it was the car I wanted and I'm pretty disappointed.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah, recent high gas prices likely intensified the demand for new (gas saving) Civics. As you mention, checking back at the Honda dealership in a few months may be worthwhile as the current low gas prices may cause a rebound in sales of gas guzzlers by shortsighted consumers, thereby decreasing the high demand for Civics.

Have you tried shopping at a different Honda dealership? Have you shopped on the internet?

Old 11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
June 2010 ROTM

See if you can find another dealership in your area. Some dealerships are just crappy. Did you give them your information? They may give you a follow up call with a lower price. I test drove a car once and they gave me two call back with lower prices each time. lol, I didn't even want the car, I just wanted to drive it. (VW rabbit)

Old 11-07-2008, 01:48 PM

Ron,

Today was my first Honda dealership experience. The only thing about the dealership today is that it's the closest one and it's 25 miles away. The next three closest are within 5 miles of one another, but the closest of those is 49 miles away. Thinking of just-in-case scenarios and the like, that's a little far away, ya know? No, I didn't try a whole lot of internet shopping, but I haven't given up my search quite yet.

Dano,

I did in fact give them my information. The gentleman I worked with said he'd be giving me a call on Monday. I told him during the interview I was a Ford guy and I was also seeking a Ford Focus, but that didn't seem to shake him any. I'm sure he'll call, but I'm doubting a better offer than what they gave me.

Thanks for the replies, but I'll keep looking!

Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

Don't let them bull**** you, Civics are like Doritos if they run out they'll make more. I think I got a good deal on my 08 Civic LX Sedan automatic for $18,000 OTD. That's the car, destination, doc fees, registration, and 5% Massachusetts sales tax. If you back out the tax, doc fees and the registration, the price was $16,779 or ~$250 below invoice.
You are right talking negotiating the OTD price rather than seeing suspect fees. Depending on your sales tax, I wouldn't go more than $21k OTD for it. Are you financing or cash?

Old 11-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Clutchcargo
Don't let them bull**** you, Civics are like Doritos if they run out they'll make more. I think I got a good deal on my 08 Civic LX Sedan automatic for $18,000 OTD. That's the car, destination, doc fees, registration, and 5% Massachusetts sales tax. If you back out the tax, doc fees and the registration, the price was $16,779 or ~$250 below invoice.
You are right talking negotiating the OTD price rather than seeing suspect fees. Depending on your sales tax, I wouldn't go more than $21k OTD for it. Are you financing or cash?
I am was going to do cash, and I have enough to pay what they want, but obviously I'm not willing to. I know they make money on the back end with financing, so I didn't tell them I was paying cash, and didn't plan on it until I had a price I wanted set in stone. I figured telling them I was doing cash would hurt my chances of a better deal.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:58 PM
HCF Member

yea they'll probably call you back with a lower price. went to a toyota dealership to check out the yaris type s with my girlfriend and they called the next day with a lower offer an interest rate. they are in a desperate time right now and their sales isn't good. i would think that telling them you got cash would get you a lower price. you can tell them you only have this much with you and see if they would sell for the price you want

Old 11-07-2008, 07:06 PM

my dad told me some strategy he uses
it may or may not work, depending on where you go

he said that when he buys a car from a dealer, he picks a reasonable price, and he tells them if they'll give him that car for that much, he will buy it right then, and he tells them that's all he has to spend. then if they try to add more fees, he tells them (not a direct quote, just paraphrasing) "look, this is what I have... if you will take this, not a penny more, you will have this sale right now." it has worked for him about 3 times.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM

I decided that local dealerships were used to manipulating people with prices because they know that there isnt much local competition so if you do end up walking away from a dealer, there's no real threat of losing business to someone else. So my brother and I went up to St.Louis and Columbia, Missouri. Test drove an 06 scion tc and the dealer was a total ******* asking questions like what are my chances of you driving off the lot with this car or just coming here to test drive. They didnt even attempt to sell me the car, they just wanted to hear me say im here to buy right now and make up my mind. They gave no room to test drive and consider all options. Not to mention the scion was previous modded by some kid and drove awful for their asking price of $15k. So we went up to St.Louis and found a honda dealer that were real laid back and just answered questions with no pressure at all. Ended up driving away with my 06 civic lx 45k miles for $13.9k. MSRP and BB value were well over $15.5k so i think we really drove away ahead.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

lol $23k for a civic is ridiculous. I'd just find a S2000 for that price or an older NSX for a few g's more.

I hate dealerships though, too much of a hassle to buy a car.

Quick Reply: My Dealership Experience Today