General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

My first car! What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 PM
HCF Member
Default My first car! What should I do?

Hey guys,

I'm inheriting my older sister's 1995 white Honda Civic 2 door because she got a newer car. It's not the best thing but hey it moves and it'll get me to and from school and to tennis lessons/tournaments.

I want to make it a little nicer though, probably more aesthetics than performance. I don't really think there's much I can do for the car other than make it look nicer/more comfortable. Acceleration is relatively nonexistant, forget about top speed! I don't like to drive all that fast but a little jump would be nice for the occasional huge hill or whatever.

Some other things that are kinda wrong: I don't like the headlights a whole lot, the AC doesn't work (I think it's the compressor which is out of my budget and wouldn't make sense anyways), the shifter isn't all that spectacular, I don't like the steering wheel's shape, and the roof drips a tiny amount if the rain is uber heavy.

I don't know a whole lot about doing stuff to cars and I know that people on here do, so I'm begging for any advice. She had a stereo front thing put in but I want to do some more. Maybe seat covers or something to the steering wheel (I hate its shape!)...I don't really know.

Here are some things I had in mind:
1. Doing something to the seats probably, covers or what I don't really know.
2. I LOVE the blue led cupholders guide on the site, but I don't have those kind of cupholders in my model. I have the lame ones that are farther up and just the little rings.
3. Maybe do something to the steering wheel? what would this all entail?
4. Anything else that you guys suggest.

Keep in mind that I do not have a lead foot or the desire to race...EVER. The car's acceleration like I said isn't the best and I would like it if the pedal moved a little bit more smoothly. Also, some basic price quotes would be appreciated too.

Thanks a TON in advance for any posts!

Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: My first car! What should I do?

You don't say what body (hatch or coupe) or trim (LX, DX, EX, CX, HX, Si) yourCivic is.

If it's rusted bad, I wouldn'tput any money into it, besides the minimum to keep it running while you get your financial situation squared away enough for a new car. If it's in nice shape, put a decentalarm in it.

Download/Buy a Factory Service Manual. Shop Ebay, junkyards, and online salvage for used parts. You might find some screamin' deals. I got a stock hood with matching paint for $25US this year.

Check to make sure the timing belt has been changed every 80-100K miles. A busted timing belt could destroy your motor.

Fix the weather-stripping before rain causes rust, mildew, and other rot.

Lube the throttle linkage with the proper lube. You don't want THAT sticking at the wrong time.

If you're NEVER going to use the AC, have a licensed HVAC person remove the refrigerant and then take the compressor and other AC equipmentout yourself. You'll be shaving weight and removing rotating load from the engine.

Square away any other maintenance issues needing attention. Keep in mind that upgrade parts often don't cost much more than stock replacements.

I don't remember if '95 Civs had airbags, but if not, fitting a Grant or Momo steering wheel should be pretty easy. Somebody else will know what you can do if you have an airbag.

A short-shifter kit could improve the shifter feel.

People change the headlights all the time. No biggie there. Just shop around for what you want.

You may be able to get used seatsto bolt in. I wouldn't bother with covers. The only ones that ever seem to fit well cost as much as used seats anyway.

A decent set of lightweight wheels and UHP tires can really wake up the sportiness of your Civic. When you need new rubber, this is a great place to upgrade both performance and looks. Keep your stock rims to run skinny snow treads on if you see serious snow.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

Thank you so much!!! I was starting to worry that I was never going to get a reply, but you covered everything I wanted! I will talk the stuff over with my parents pretty soon because it's going in thursday to get a new windshield because it's cracked via weather.

Thanks again!

Old 08-27-2007, 05:46 PM

i say just drive it at first before you get into any type of modifying.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

It's looking like that's going to be what happens. Lame parents don't want me to get rid of the ac even though I explained it to them..it wouldn't even cost me anything because I could probably have the high school senior class guys that do technical school do it if I really felt like it.

Their reasoning is that it's only for a year (probably), but they don't have to drive the thing! I opened it today and a wave of heat blew out at me...easily 100 degrees plus. Sometimes the steering wheel is so hot that I have to cool it off with water or a towel. My mom got out after I drove her somewhere and she was sweating haha.

Hopefully the next car I get will be one that I will be able to DO something to. I hate to spend a year with a car that I could make better, but it's far better than nothing and it'll be worth it in the end when I get a better car (fingers crossed)