General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

N/A or Forced (on a really tight budget!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Default N/A or Forced (on a really tight budget!)

I've had my B16a engined civic for a week or so now, but I'm already used to its frankly average pace. 160bhp sounds impressive, but the car weighs 1200kgs, and lighter Saxo VTS's easily stay with it - they weight 950kgs and have 125bhp. Power to weights work out identical for both, and the Saxos well ahead on torque and agility... Is there a good weight saving list that can be carried out on the civic without making it bare and sparse, or loosing simple luxeries? It really needs to loose 100 - 150kgs. If not, I need more power. On a budget! Should I save for a bit and get a turbo kit or start adding high quality parts to the engine over time for a stunning naturally asperated engine? Idealy with an unlimited budget id stick in a b18 from an integra, or even the 2.2 from the prelude (for the added torque). Neither is a viable option for a student who struggles to buy food between bar crawls! Any with advice and experience turbo charging civics, and people who have heavilly modded N/A's, please help me out... These saxo's need taking down!

On a seperate note - what is the standard suspension layout on 1996- 2000 civics (multi-link, torsion beam etc..) I cant find the info anywhere!

cheers

Old 01-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Default RE: N/A or Forced (on a really tight budget!)

If you want more oomph, for little price, go with a simple turbo kit. Something like a Greddy. Pcupo has one, and loves it, talk to him about it. NA mods wont yield as much gains as a turbo, so thats why I think turbo would be better for your application. A pieced together kit can cost anywhere from 1000 dollars to 2000 with a good tune, and if youre lucky you can find a good pre-done kit for around 1500.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

Also, if you go N/A, you will have to rip the engine apart to get the real gains. The only way to get the real gains is to either beefen up the top end, the bottom end, or both. These options are not cheap and labor intensive. If you just want a little power, go with the turbo. And if you read the other thread, Pete put it well, you can always turn a little **** for more boost (not THAT easy, but you get the picture)

Old 01-19-2006, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

nitrous on a budget. ive tuned a few b16's on a 125 shot and they held up well. personnally i would go nitrous and save up for a turbo later.
edit: this is still considered n/a being that the engine is still doing all the pumping work . your just increasing the amount of air molecules the engine can digest on on cycle per cylinder allowing more fuel and more power. although this can be hard to tune for some.most kits like zex come from the manufacturer with preset jetting for safer operation. if you know how to tune you can lean the system out a bit or richen it to acheive max gains.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:42 AM
HCF Member

Check this thread out

Old 01-22-2006, 10:19 AM

If you want cheap power go with a bottle or boost. at least with boost you get the "putssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh" sound. N/A isnt cheap.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:53 AM
HCF Member

you like in the uk right? first off its not cheap to buy a turbo kit for a B-series in the uk most honda tuning shops will charge at least £2400 for a basic greddy kit thats like $4300 and you will still have to install it which will cost more unless you can do it yourself. True there are cheaper options, e-bay etc but quality can be a real issue there, otherwise source a kit or individual parts from the us but you will still get lumberd with shipping costs and import duty, in short there is no cheap way to boost a B-series if you live in the uk im afraid.
And as for those saxo's, yes their light (made of crappy french tin and engines go pop!) but there no match for a good civic, I know somebody with a lightly tuned EG hatch VTI and it rips vts's on the straights and on the corners.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

Please don't compare the civic to a saxo! No comparason. get a decent induction kit and exhaust then Hondata K-PRO you'll be at 200bhp no worries. Call System R(search the web I can't remember the url) They are going to to do my DC5 when I get the cash. The K-PRO will cost you about £1300 fully set up. Exhaust including manifold around £750 induction around £240. I had an EG hatch VTi. I had a Magnaflow exhaust (de-cat) and an ITG maxogen filter. I bought them from www.tokyo-express.co.uk The magnaflow was loud but good, think a colder induction kit would have been better. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2006, 07:22 PM
HCF Member

K-Pro is for K-Series motors. but an S100-200-or 300 would be nice.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:43 AM
HCF Member

[:@]My Bad.