General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Navigation ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 08:33 AM
HCF Member
Default Navigation ?

Does it have to be updated somehow occasionally since there are always new points of interest? Or does it stay updated becouse it's "satillite linked"? Also, someone told me there's a way to "crack" it so you can watch DVD's on the screen? Does anyone know about that? Thanks.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Default RE: Navigation ?

No, it wont automatically update your points of interest...like if they build a new Wal Mart by your house next month, chances are it's not gonna show up on your navi screen. Honda will probably come out with some kind of map upgrade software that they can charge you out the *** for every couple of years. At least thats how the navigation companies for yachts are. I dont know anything about the crack to be able to watch dvd's on it, but someone will figure something out im sure. All it is is basically a monitor or a little mini pc sort of deal attatched to a gps antenna.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:14 AM
HCF Member

Hmmm, well I want it to be up to date. The Nav's been available in Acura's for awile, so they must have some way to update it. Anyone else know?

Old 10-07-2005, 10:00 PM

Pioneer sends me a new CD about every year with an update on it. Im sure thats what the stock companies will be doing though. As for cracking it, some can and some cant. I know for a fact that the new Cadillacs can play DVDs but I havent seen a new civic yet. 50 50 chance Id say.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:49 PM
HCF Member

I found out today when I picked up the car. They have a updated DVD available anually for like $95. So I guess ever couple of years I'll buy it.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:56 PM

That sucks ***** that they charge you for it. Guess thats why most people prefer aftermarket.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:16 PM
HCF Member

Plus the aftermarket units can play DVDs, VCDs, TV, and add on stuff like PS2. I personally would rather get an aftermarket unit on a new civic then the factory installed one. It looks the same but does more.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:20 PM

Well, how often do you guys with Nav systems actually use em? Only time I can see is if you travel, cause I think you should know your way home or araound town.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:54 PM

Thats what everyone who doesnt have one says. I have lived here for about 6 years and know my way around very well yet I use mine all the time. Youd be suprised at the miles you waste taking the long way and the mountain roads you miss out on because they dobt look that great in the beginnning or look like a dead end.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: LEVIII
Youd be suprised at the miles you waste taking the long way and the mountain roads you miss out on because they dobt look that great in the beginnning or look like a dead end.
Glad I don't have one then, cause I hate wasting miles. I like to get there, and get the job done.

Quick Reply: Navigation ?