General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Need advice please, just bought a civic!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'd figure somewhere around $1,500-$2,000 USD for all the mods I listed, but considering that's taking care of the entire exterior of the car and a little bit of suspension, it's not too bad (but yeah, $2k is a lot lol).

I doubt you'll be able to find a twin-loop cat back, but what I'd suggest is try to find a twin-loop muffler by itself and taking it (and the car) to a muffler shop to have them fab. up a cat-back. And honestly, with an intake, header, and full-cat back, I'd expect to see ~10whp if that from a d16; Honda built the d16z6 and d16y8 very well from the factory, which is why you don't see that great of gains from bolt-ons.

And I'd check with some of the other canadian members about places to buy from; i don't know of any places to buy from in canada offhand

Old 02-21-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
I'd figure somewhere around $1,500-$2,000 USD for all the mods I listed, but considering that's taking care of the entire exterior of the car and a little bit of suspension, it's not too bad (but yeah, $2k is a lot lol).

I doubt you'll be able to find a twin-loop cat back, but what I'd suggest is try to find a twin-loop muffler by itself and taking it (and the car) to a muffler shop to have them fab. up a cat-back. And honestly, with an intake, header, and full-cat back, I'd expect to see ~10whp if that from a d16; Honda built the d16z6 and d16y8 very well from the factory, which is why you don't see that great of gains from bolt-ons.

And I'd check with some of the other canadian members about places to buy from; i don't know of any places to buy from in canada offhand

I should get a whole exhaust kit right and a half decent air instake.. what about a header.. how much do those go for?

Thanks for the half decent advice man

Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Super Cereal Admin

whoa now, "half decent" advice? My advice is amazing, thank you very much

Anyway, headers go for $150-$300 for a good one; I'd recommend checking into Megan Racing or Hedman Hedders Chikara units; they're both around $150, and do the same exact thing as the $300 DC pieces.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 PM

Nice and clean EK! I see your car and wish I had mine tinted. But the po-po around my area dislike tint very much so and get almost everyone with it (eventually). My 2 previous civics had tint. Pulled over for both and got hit with $106 tickets and had to pull the tint off for the cop right at the scene.

Anyways....Yes, full cat-back exhaust would be the most benficial. Intake.. doesn't really matter what kind, just get a decent filter (eBay/No name filters suck...literally) For the header, I would suggest looking for a 4-2-1. I have a DC header, but I have heard the megan header is not too shabby. BTW, 17's would prolly make your car look like a monster truck wanna be if the suspension is stock.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Nice and clean EK! I see your car and wish I had mine tinted. But the po-po around my area dislike tint very much so and get almost everyone with it (eventually). My 2 previous civics had tint. Pulled over for both and got hit with $106 tickets and had to pull the tint off for the cop right at the scene.

Anyways....Yes, full cat-back exhaust would be the most benficial. Intake.. doesn't really matter what kind, just get a decent filter (eBay/No name filters suck...literally) For the header, I would suggest looking for a 4-2-1. I have a DC header, but I have heard the megan header is not too shabby. BTW, 17's would prolly make your car look like a monster truck wanna be if the suspension is stock.
I've noticed you got the same car as me.. You should post up some pictures!!
I'll look around for a half decent cold air intake and going to try to find myself a header I guess(whats the header going to do hp wise?)

Btw reaper2022 thanks for your 'excellent' advice.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Super Cereal Admin

lol well no problem

Anyway, a header will get you ~3-5whp, depending on how lucky you are. Like an intake and an exhaust, it's not going to be anything you can truly feel in the seat of your pants. Actually, to be honest, a header could get you up to 15whp, but I know of one header under $1,000 that's proven to give you that kind of gain, and it's not currently being produced (It's the Bisimoto header). I hear there's a second version of the header on its way though.

But if you want to actually feel a difference in power, wait and install the i/h/e all at once, then drive the car. Individually (the 3-5whp gain they all give you) they won't be noticeable, but the total gain (~10-15whp) will be able to be felt, not that the feeling of power will last for longer than a week; that's the problem with mods... they make your car feel fast for a week, then you want more

Old 02-21-2009, 06:10 PM

As we said earlier, simple bolt-ons will not provide much extra HP, but I would guess a header could give you about 1-2 HP...maybe?

Pics = Here ya go (Not my thread, so I'll only post a few)
Name:  DSC00790.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  DSC00791.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

Wow, reaper's got this covered.
Just want to put my 2 cents in......dont ever.....ever.....ever buy anything from Ractive.
They are not only a POS, but a waste of your money.
On the other hand you have a nice ride and there a a ton of parts for your car.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I sure as h**l do... I spend a lot of time in class thinking about what I'd do to a civic if I got my hands on another one and had the money

Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

nice another VSM. your canadian si looks sweet man, nice and clean. Reaper posted some good info, exactly what i would say, not literally though. but congrats on modding and keep us posted about your progress.

BTW... here is my silver civic contribution

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice please, just bought a civic!