General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:38 PM
HCF Member
Default Need Help!

Hey need your help guys and gals! I have a court date on Monday to fight a ticket. I am trying find how fast my car can handle a corner. I want to know this because I got a ticket for taking a corner at 73 mph in my 02 Si hatch. I want to prove that this is physically impossible in my stock Si. So if you guys know any websites that might have that info or something that'll help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need Help!

Well, it depends on the degree of the turn. Do you mean a corner as in a 90* turn?

Look up the specs on your car and see what it pulled on the skidpad.

Nevermind. 0.82g. Now all you have ot do is figure out how many g's it would be to take your turn at 73mph.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

You dont happen to know that formula do you? I know my car weighs in at about 2700 lbs. thats all i know. I should have looked this up a while ago but i really never though of it before today. Damn me and my slow mind. Oh and the turn was more of a 75 to 80 degree turn but the lane was split my a raised concrete median. So basically I couldnt take it wide. Ill post some pics up later when I get some to make it easier to see what I mean.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:01 PM

well we would need the radius of the corner.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:36 PM

Now Centripetal force is F= M * V(2)/R

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cf.html
Use this!!!!!!!!!
After plugging in your number I got CF to be 7061lbs. now since your car only weighs 2700 thats
2.6Gs

all this is assuming the Radius of the turn is 40 meters. and thats a pretty wide turn. 73 is just a really fast speed to take any turn. unless your a formula one car.

EDit: Ok I lied, 40M radius is about the same as the Turn in your standard Track and field track. Not to wide for a car. But i have no idea what kinds of turn your talking about. Make sure to take pictures of the turn. And provide a long hand right up of the CF equation and G-Force equation, which is just CF divided by the cars curb weight in Lbs

Old 03-12-2006, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

Yeah i took plenty of pics. Ive got this cop so easy. Ive looked it all over and there is no possible way that he could have clocked me doing 73 at that point. Ive got pics of the car, different points of view of the possibloe places the cop could have been, and also of my car and its stock suspension. So I hope thats enough to win. plus Im gonna play the "Im being picked on because Im a young kid in a Jap car" card. Wish me luck.

Oh and the turn is just a 80 degree right hand turn from a main street onto a side street. Haven't the slightest clue what the radius would be so I can't really work it out. Damn so close.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:45 PM
HCF Member

Measuring tape? You don't have to be exact, just get an estimate. And your car can't handle anything near 2gs. Even .8gs is pretty damn high. I think thats what the 30K sports cars handle at, so i don't think your civic is quite that good.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:56 PM
HCF Member

The question where to measure from. thats my big thing. I can guestimate if i had reference point to go by. Where do I measure from?

\ \
\ \
__\ \_______________________

That is the overall shape of the turn. so where do I measure from?

Old 03-13-2006, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

Lets nuke out drifting.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:08 PM

So how did it go?

Quick Reply: Need Help!