General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

NEED HELP ON ac COMPRESSOR

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Default NEED HELP ON ac COMPRESSOR

finally i can post thanks guys for telling how.

heres my scenario,, my ac took a dive, has this very loud grinding noise and no cold air coming out.

i took the belt out finally and the ac out, got burnt up and wont spin,

my question is after i put the ac in what do i need to be done before i can run my car

its 2002 honda civic Si and only one belt running all.

1. can i use the car or i have to have it recharge first
2. when i took the ac out , oil came out from the inlets, what is this? gear oil, lubricant?
3. is it safe to run the car without refrigerant
4. what is flush the system mean?
5. can it be done cheaper, i mean is there any procedure or help on how to flush?
6. dealer says it cost $600 for new one and $500 for labor plus charge?
7. is there any place cheaper?

any help and advise will be great

thasks again

Old 06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: NEED HELP ON ac COMPRESSOR

Did your compressor fail, or just the pulley bearing? Can you still turn the inner shaft? If the unit didn't seize internally you might be able to fix it by changing the pulley and bearing (part of the "clutch set").

You can drive the car without a complete A/C system, you just need to disconnect the wires to the A/C compressor to be sure that it never tries to engage.

The oil is called PAG and it is special stuff just used in A/C compressors. The main problem with PAG oil is that it absorbs water and becomes useless if it's exposed to the air for a long time, such as having a hose disconnected.

Flushing means using a machine to blast solvent thru the lines to remove old PAG oil, metal debris from a failed compressor, water and dirt. It should be done after major compressor failure or after the lines have been left disconnected for a long time. The alternative is to replace the parts instead of flushing. The condenser has multiple tiny paths thru it and is about impossible to flush all the debris of a major compressor failure out of it. It should be replaced.

Also the receiver drier is like the system's oil filter, it should always be replaced with any major work. This part is not very expensive.

You can buy parts considerably cheaper from a place like Majestic Honda online. For example the compressor is about $360.

Any competent third-party shop can do this sort of work.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 PM

thank you for the information and feedback.

the unit internally i believe is shut because it grinds when you turn with the clutch disengaged, i suspect the bearing on both ends gone coz i can see black metal dust around, the belt was melted too part of it on the side. Both the clutch and the pulley has been physically damaged from spining too long. i wasnt able to hear the very loud noise when i was driving on the freeway at high speed and RPM with a magnaflow straight pipe until i exited.

i found one online for $260 plus 2 monhts warranty, my question is?

is it necessary to flush the system or just re-charge?

thank you again

2002 honda civic Si

Old 06-19-2008, 05:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you had internal compressor failure, a new condenser and flush everything else would be essential (also replace the expansion valve and receiver-drier). Otherwise the metal bits of the old compressor that are in the system are going to circulate around and ruin the new one.

It's important not to cut corners here or you're going to have a short life of the new compressor and end up doing it all over again.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:36 AM

what do you mean by condenser, expansion valve or drier? where are they located?

do i have to buy them too?

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

thanks