General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Need help! clicking noise from in motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Default Need help! clicking noise from in motor?

I just installed A K&N typhoon on my 03 ex. And now there is a clicking noise coming from my motor. I can only hear it inside the car with everything is super quit. It doesn't do it right away when i start the car. But after a few mins of idling it starts to chatter. and doesn't go away after it warms up. It's not a constint chatter. It clicks a few times and stops, clicks a few times and stops. But there is a rythem to it. IT seems to go away when i give it some gas, but that could just be because i can't hear it over the rest of the motor.

Any ideas? I don't want to reck my motor.
Could it be that one of my lifters is sticking and i just couldn't hear it with the stock air box?

Old 03-11-2006, 02:15 AM
Default RE: Need help! clicking noise from in motor?

your mis-firing, get it checked

Old 03-11-2006, 10:06 AM

The motor seems to be running very smooth, and idles fine. It's like you wouldn't even know anything is wrong unless you pop the hood, and put your ear close to the block.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

If there is a misfire, you will have a check engine light so unless you have a light that prolly isn't your problem. If you haven't changed your oil in a while you could try that. THe hydraulic lifters could be clogged by dirty old oil. If that doesn't fix it, the lifters might need to be adjusted. I would definatly start with changing your oil, it can't hurt. Change you oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles, it is the best thing for your car. If you wanna get your car up to 300k, you gotta keep up with required maintance. Your car is still pretty new so you treat it right and it will give you years of loyal service.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:24 PM

Thats what i was thinking, I had already been planning to do a "tune up" tomorrow. I have been for the last 3 weeks. Got Some AMSOIL 5w20 XL, and Some LCD oil/fuel additive. AS well as new PLugs and i'm switching to a K&N oil filter. Not to mention the K&N air filter/ RAI i just put on. I"m also replacing the brake pads and shoes. So it should be a good day.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

Don't forget the plug wires, might as well while your at it. And have fun with the shoes. I hate shoes.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:05 PM

The plug wires should be fine.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:36 PM
HCF Member

Doesn't hurt to change them. A tune up generally include new plugs, plug wires, air filter, and fuel filter. Don't forget to gap the spark plugs.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

could be the intake hitting a frame or something metal that its close to?

Old 03-11-2006, 11:18 PM
HCF Member

How does the car run? It could be some kinda of heat shield or something........if the car runs normally I wouldnt sweat it. Just look for something stupid to be the culprit.

Quick Reply: Need help! clicking noise from in motor?