General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Need Help With d16y8 Swap Into 94 civic cx

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 PM
HCF Member
Default Need Help With d16y8 Swap Into 94 civic cx

I think i posted in wrong section so I re posted didn't know to move post.

So I am new to the forums and not very mechanically inclined and have a few questions about a swap I am setting up (purchasing of all necessary parts etc). I currently drive a 1994 civic cx hatch and wanted to swap a d16y8 motor from a 00 civic ex.

The swap in question comes with the tranny, motor mounts, ecu. shift linkage, and wiring harness.

It says I would need to purchase a distributor which I have no issues doing, but from what I read the engine in question should just swap directly using mine. I am not sure if what I am reading is reliable information I have been doing a lot of research and yet I have found conflicting information.

What I really would like to know is exactly what I would need and what in that list of items coming with the motor is and isn't compatible with my vehicle.

Ex: wiring harness ecu etc.

Furthermore what necessary parts should i purchase to make this swap as easy as possible, I am looking for a in and out procedure as this is my only vehicle so I am doing as much preparation as I can before I hand it over to the shop.

I appreciate any help that can be provided and thanks in advance for answering any of my questions as well as putting up with my incompetence when it comes to motor knowledge.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Chubby Chaser

only use the d16y8 head and block. everything else from your engine you put on it,
including motor mounts,trans,intake manifold. you will need a distributor form a 92-95 ex d16z6 engine. and also the ecu from the 92-95 ex d16z6. once everything is installed you can wire vtec up its just 2 more wires to add to the ecu. and you will need the vtec plugs from the vtec engine(cut the ex wiring harness)

Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
only use the d16y8 head and block. everything else from your engine you put on it,
including motor mounts,trans,intake manifold. you will need a distributor form a 92-95 ex d16z6 engine. and also the ecu from the 92-95 ex d16z6. once everything is installed you can wire vtec up its just 2 more wires to add to the ecu. and you will need the vtec plugs from the vtec engine(cut the ex wiring harness)
So i cannot use the Tranny or ecu that comes with the motor?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Chubby Chaser

the trans has different cv axles....
the ecu is obd2b and your car is obd1

they will fit but will cost alot more to make it work.. sell them and just get what you need it wil make the swap alot easier.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:23 PM
HCF Member

they will fit but will cost alot more to make it work.. sell them and just get what you need it wil make the swap alot easier.
Sweet okay besides ebay and craigslist is there a legit place to purchase the distributor and ecu online?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 PM
HCF Member

you will also need to wire up a 4 wire 02 sensor
you can buy usedparts on forums like this one or Honda-Tech thats where i normally buy mine

Old 09-05-2009, 11:51 AM
HCF Member

If the axles are included with the tranny will i be able to use it then?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

Also, if the ecu is included with the motor will can I use that ecu or do i "need" the z6 one. I appreciate everyone's help.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

So I got the motor, the guy I bought it from was real cool he said I should just try to find a wiring harness from a 99-00 ex and use that (I was discussing how my harness had a short in it somewhere and was causing the radiator fan fuse to pop every time i turned on the car). So if anyone has one I'm looking. Engine came with ecu as well so yeah any suggestions to make this swap simple would be awesome.

Thanks,

Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Chubby Chaser

i can sell you the harness but i would just be taking your money. cause your car is wired up for obd1 and the harness is obd2b. you dont need another harness all you need is to goto the local j/y and cut the vtec plugs from the harness and wire them into your p28 ecu when you get it. i explained previously what you need to do. i also have the vtec plugs listed on ebay for sale. its the vtec solenoid with the plugs to wire it in.

Quick Reply: Need Help With d16y8 Swap Into 94 civic cx