General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

need help painting wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Default need help painting wheels

hey guys just a quick question my civic has hubcaps on it and its got the stock wheels behind them and they are a little rusty can i just spray paint over it? if so, what should i use? can i do it while the wheels are on my car?

please help me thanks

Old 02-02-2008, 10:17 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: need help painting wheels

You'll want to address the rust first. Then clean the wheels really well. Paint won't stick well otherwise.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:35 AM

how can i do that, how do i remove the rust and these are like the stock "steelies" i think

what paint do i use

can i paint them while they are on the car

Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 AM
HCF Member

A wire wheel will bust most of the rust off. You could use naval jelly or rust-converter. You could also use POR15, but it's expensive. I'd just use the wire wheel. Then prime any bare metal and paint. You could use any paint made for steel. A simple can of Rustoleum spray works fine. All of this would be easier if you removed the wheels from the car.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:18 AM

yeah i know it will be easier but is it possible to do it while on the car and in like 40 degree weather?

also how long should i wait to drive on them after i do it?

Old 02-02-2008, 11:25 AM

I would take the wheels off, you dont want overspray all over the car. Also look at the paint can to see what temperatures you can paint at, id say 40 is too cold. maybe you could take them in a garage or shed where it is a little warmer. Another good tip would be to take playing cards and jam them between the tire and the rim. Tape dosen't stick very well, and you dont want overspray on the tires. Are you putting the hubcaps back on?

Old 02-02-2008, 12:33 PM

i was thinking of putting them back on, thanks for the tip i just went out and bought wire brushes, a sand block thing, and painting tape and now i might take your playing card tip though...do you think it would be okay to keep them on the car though i have no clue how to take them off and it would just be much easier to keep them on

Old 02-02-2008, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

I'm going to be using this DIY this spring when I paint mine (read through whole thread)

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_395495/tm.htm

Old 02-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Look in your owner's manual for the location of the jack and lug nut wrench. Take the wheels off, one at a time, and take them someplace warmer to sand and paint them. Almost any paint I have ever seen or worked with requires a MINIMUM temperature of 55 degrees to work properly. Rustoleum spray paint will work just fine....probably flat black if you are going to put your hubcaps back on. Use some find sandpaper to rough up the ENTIRE painted surface, or else you will find that there will be areas where the paint just won't stick. Instructions on the paint can will tell you how long the drying time will be. In addition to using the supplied jack and lug nut wrench to take your wheels off for painting, you really should know how to use them in case you have a flat tire.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:46 PM

thanks for responding okay well tomorrow morning i will have to try to start this up

thanks again

Quick Reply: need help painting wheels