General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Need help picking a Civic...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Default Need help picking a Civic...

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, just joined a few days ago. I am in the market for my very first car, but don't want to shell out $23,000+ for the new '07 Civics. I am wondering what Civic would be the best for a new driver (I don't know how to drive Manual, but will learn if it makes a huge difference in cost, etc.), that just wants to modify the exterior and interior of the car, nothing major performance wise, or at all. I don't plan on racing this car, but want to turn heads with it. I was reading and many people were suggesting 6th Gen Civics, but I wanted other opinions.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT: I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, just thought I would throw that in while I figure out how to change my profile information.

[hr]

Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need help picking a Civic...

ya you can go six gen that would be cool. also look into 00 civic si, seeing those on the road are pretty special. i have one now and i see 10x more no si civics (dx, ex etc) and when i see an si its pretty cool. that might sound corny but i really don't give a fu(k if you think it is. lol jk

Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 PM
HCF Member

dont buy a civic if ur not tryna do performance and ur only tryna turn heads. ud be better off with an accord.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:26 AM
HCF Member

umm i would say go with a 6th gen civic if ur gunna do performance on it but if ur not go with the 7th gen coup. the body is really sporty and all u really need to do to that car is put some nice rims and drop it alot(i mean alot idk y theres so much wheel gap in those cars) i have have a 6th gen civic with 2 lips and a drop and its soo annoying how people try to race me and i cant cuz i know ill get burned cuz my car is stock. but wut ever u do ull be happy cuz its a civic and honda make an awsome car.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 AM
HCF Member

I agree that the 7th gen bodies look more sleek. Ive seen some real head turners when they are done right. Check out some of them in the forums and see for yourself.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:56 AM

23K? You must be looking at SI's. My '07 EX coupe ended up being 17K out the door with a 20K window sticker. You can get a LX for 17K or less!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:46 AM
HCF Member

either get an 99-01 Si or 5th Gen FTW!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
HCF Member

I'd get a '98-'06 LX or DX sedan with AC and a classy int/ext color scheme that you like ( I like grey/blue, grey/silver, and grey/black myself.). Sedans and lower-trim models tend to be cheaper for insurance than EX's, Si's, coupes, and hatches. Sedans also tend to be more practical, while still having similar aftermarket support for upgrades. If you can afford to pay cash, you also don't have to get full-coverage.This can be even more pronounced/important with younger drivers.

Look for one that isn't due for a timing belt soon and is in generally good shape. If you want VTEC, PW, PL, or cruise, you can always add it easily enough later...but if you find a Civic with these options for a good price I wouldn't rule it out. Get the cheapest one you can find in excellent shape. Since you're a new driver, your chances of having a crash are much higher than the average driver. You're probably gonna damage some stuff, so save your money for a fancy car after you have experience and money to burn.

Inspect the car carefully. Anything amiss gives you leverage in negotiating price. Tires and brakes can lower the price, and are a great area to use for leverage if the car needs new ones...because you'd likely end up upgrading them anyway if they're stock.

If you don't have a license yet, I'd get an auto. Take your driver's test with an auto.If you have your license already, a manual isn't dificult to learn and can offer better economy and performance.

When you go to make appearance mods, think "classy" instead of "flashy". Class is generally timeless, whereas flash follows trends that may seem ridiculous just a few months later. Choose your mods carefully so you only spend money on something once.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:03 PM
HCF Member

1.) "I don't know how to drive Manual"
2.) "just wants to modify the exterior and interior of the car"
3.) "nothing major performance wise, or at all."

I'm really sorry to inform you, but all these symptoms you are describing lead me to only one conclusion. You are a ricer. But its not too late to change. The people here at HCF will help you with your disease. Get a 5th or 6th gen, make it fast, throw some rims on it, maybe a lip kit, tint the windows, and be done with it. Dont waste your time with your so called "interior and exterior modifications". You will only be laughed at. The best way to turn heads in the Honda world is to create something very few people have. Get a 5th gen hatch, throw a k20 in it, put some ITB's and do an all motor build. SICK!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

5th gen siFTW.

Quick Reply: Need help picking a Civic...