General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Need Help On Picking A Honda Civic!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
km0
Default Need Help On Picking A Honda Civic!

Ok I currently received a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally and I plan on selling it since there is nothing much you can do to it (performance wise). I've decided I wanted a Honda Civic since I've heard many people saying how it is a good basic car to start off with. I can probably spend around $6000-$8000 to buy the actual car.

So here is my plan:

I plan on buying a complete or nearly complete stock civic and working and messing around with it till I hit college or a better job and buy myself whatever car I want.

I have many questions though:

1. Out of DX, LX, EX, SI, the SI is the best? (performance wise) I'm sure this is correct since I searched a lot. But there is absolutely no SI's selling around my region, so the next best thing is EX, right?

2. I looked up EX (1999) and it is only a SOHC. Isn't that bad? Or can it still be good on performance? I wanted DOHC but it doesn't have it

3. Would you say that a 1999 Honda Civic EX is a good "project car" to start off with?
---------------------------
So basically I want to get into the car scene but I don't really know much. I've been relying on the internet and forums to learn all that I know right now. I don't have any friends that are gearheads and I just feel like I'm learning everything on my own. Hopefully buying this car will make me gain more knowledge than I do now. Right now I have no idea on some of the things you guys say because of the lingo and I want to learn. Is there any good sites that you guys can recommend?

Thanks! Sorry if the post was really long -_-

Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

Umm si is way better , you get more hp and dohc engine. Sohc engines are harder to tune.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

i would just try harder to find an si, i like the 99-00 si's. which you can find in your budget. or you can get ex and do an engine swap if you don't like the sohc engine. the b16 from the si is definitely better engine than the d series

Old 10-15-2008, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

A good thing to figure out first is what body style do you like? Do you like hatches? coupes? sedans?

whats your goal? do you want the worlds fastest civic or a quick civic, hp goal?

Have you looked at del sols?

si's dominate all other models.

99 civic ex isnt bad.

PLEASE IF YOU BUY a civic as a project DO NOT buy an automatic then ask how to make it faster. all of us will be annoyed.
good luck

Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by jpnolan
Have you looked at del sols?
Yea check out Del Sols. 1994-1997 Del Sol "VTEC" has a DOHC B16 motor (not to be confused with the Del Sol "Si" that has the same motor (SOHC VTEC) as the same year civic EX)

I doubt you'll find one though. pretty rare

Old 10-16-2008, 02:56 PM
km0

Thanks for the replies! I didn't know about the del sol's but I don't really like how they look. And plus there aren't any around my area.

I will keep looking into a Honda Civic SI

But what else could I work on?

Del Sol
Civic
Integra

Anything else out there? And yes I want a MANUAL so don't worry about me getting an automatic

My goal is to have high hp and just drive a nice clean car.

EDIT: Oh also I would can a civic ex and put in a swap but I have absolutely NO CLUE on how to do that

Last edited by km0; 10-16-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by km0
I didn't know about the del sol's but I don't really like how they look.
honestly, i have one and i think they look like crap... stock that is.
Once you change the headlights for some more aggressive ones and get a front lip and lower it, they look 1000000000x better.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:11 PM
km0

Yea I just googled some images and they seem a lot better lol.

So I've been looking around and the closest SI i found is really a couple miles away from me!

But it's selling for 11,500! It's a 200 Civic SI...Don't you think that is a little too high?

Here is the link: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 PM

that Si yes is completely overpriced. The owner is most likely an idiot, judging by how his car looks, and the car is only worth like 6000 bucks.

Honestly, if that car were $4000 i wouldn't buy it, unless he included all of the stock body parts.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by km0
Yea I just googled some images and they seem a lot better lol.

So I've been looking around and the closest SI i found is really a couple miles away from me!

But it's selling for 11,500! It's a 200 Civic SI...Don't you think that is a little too high?

Here is the link: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
hahahahhhsahahahahahahahahah
i justed peed a little laughing at the disgustingness of that. and this is why civics get hate from everyone because of dbags like that guy.
Honesly go with what you like, swaps are generally not to hard unless your like me and decide to chose one of the hardest civics to swap.

Quick Reply: Need Help On Picking A Honda Civic!