General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Need opinions on my new DD.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:56 PM
HCF Member
Default Need opinions on my new DD.

What's up, HCF? Long time no talk. STILL lookin to get back into a Honda for my DD. I need your opinions.

Let's say I have an $8k budget and I've narrowed it down to a couple cars, but I am still opne to other opinions and options.

First is a tasty little '99 Si coupe. Stock. 98k on the clock. It's going to need a new clutch soon, but that's about all that's wrong with it. $3,500 asking price (book is like $6k). At $3.5k, that leaves me a ton of budget for mods.

Or... '02 RSX Type-S. Basically stock. Has a couple CEL. One for an o2 senor and the other is a SRS light. 133k on the clock. Asking is $6,500. It's also going to need new tires. Like, now. (book is ~ $8k). This still leaves me a bit for mods, but probably just suspension and wheels for now.

Like I said, I am open to other suggestions, but these are the most promising ones I've found. What do you guys think? You know I won't be able to leave them alone. Cams/valvetrain, I/H/E, suspension, wheels is probably as far as I'll go with either as I have no plans to break into the bottom end.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Civic all the way if it were my choice. Clean OEM SI with only 98k for that price? Done deal. Clutch can be upgraded since you plan on upgrading the head and I assume tuning as well. Just make sure you get that timing belt done, too!

Also, the Civic would be cheaper all around (modding, insurance, the list goes on), so I would go for that unless you reeeaaalllly want that K motor.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Civic all the way if it were my choice. Clean OEM SI with only 98k for that price? Done deal. Clutch can be upgraded since you plan on upgrading the head and I assume tuning as well. Just make sure you get that timing belt done, too!

Also, the Civic would be cheaper all around (modding, insurance, the list goes on), so I would go for that unless you reeeaaalllly want that K motor.
I'm leaning toward the Civic. But yeah, I reeeeally want that K motor. Lol.

Just found an ep3 with a JDM K20A relatively local. Hmmm... another option. I like those ep3's.

YELLOW!!!

Last edited by Street Sniper; 02-03-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Here's the plan.

Buy the 99 Si. Put some air in the tires. Replace the clutch. Give it a nice tune up. Clean it up REALLY well. Resell for profit.

Stack the profit on top of the remaining cash and buy another Civic. You'll have plenty of cash for mods.

I'd say the RSX isnt worth that much until the CELs are fixed. "Basically stock" but fanboy'd out with that ricer Acura vinyl...

Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM

No to the EP3. Good lord that thing is ugly. And it is apparently swapped. You have no idea what corners were cut during the engine swap....

Edit - Buy the Civic, pull the motor, sell it (motor), and drop a K motor in the SI. mmmm sounds good to me!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah I'd go with the red one too. Good price and not potentially mucked up by previous mods. Like Hobo suggested, get it now and if something better comes along you could flip it-- err maybe that's not a good word for a car, I mean fix it up some and resell it for a profit.

Last edited by mk378; 02-03-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:47 PM
HCF Member

I would also lean toward the 99si but how do you know all it needs is a clutch? I mean at 100,000 miles on a SI, depending on how it was driven it could have a lot more issues than you think. The fact that it's listed for so much under book value makes me even more su****ious... people dont just give away stock EM1's these days... i mean I get an offer once a month for mine.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

Well, I've pretty much ruled out the RSX. The fugly ep3 is very much in the running with he Type-R swap. Ugh. Why does it have to be yellow!?

The 99si is a buddy at work. He's not going to sell me something that's jacked. The price reflects the need for a clutch and tires and the "friend" discount. He knows how much it's worth.

There will be no flipping. Whatever I get will be my new DD for a while. The price of the '99 leaves soooo much budget for mods it's crazy. I keep ruling it out and ruling it back in.

Since I made this I added few cars to the list (unfortunately). I've always wanted a WRX and for some reason, the MazdaSpeed3 has caught my eye. I know, I know... they're not Hondas, but...

Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 PM

ooooh... Subieroo in the mix? If the price is right...

I think a couple of the admins have Subarus now.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:29 PM
HCF Member

[QUOTE=WellFedHobo;772637]ooooh... Subieroo in the mix? If the price is right...

I think a couple of the admins have Subarus now.[/QUOTY]

Three actually. The price is very right on all of them. One has a low mileage Sti swap but still on the stock WRX tranny. That's worrisome, but he said he's been daily driving it with over 300hp since '05. Lol. Black on black on black. Sexy as **** other than the lame *** aftermarket wing.

The other has a list of mods a mile long and is the best looking of the bunch. Blue on bronze. My favorite combo. High mileage though

The other... a virgin. Low mileage and untouched. Mmmm. This one leaves me PLENTY of money for mods too.

Crap!!!

Honestly, the leading contender is a Type-R swapped RSX with LSD. Kpro, cams, P&P head, CAI, RH, $1,100 suspension... the works. No expense was spared. The only reason I haven't mentioned it is the guy is being a complete homo about it. He keeps flaking on me and it's getting exhausting. I told him he has until the end of tomorrow to make the deal or I'm moving on.

The more I think about it, the more I think that virgin WRX might be the way to go. Everything other than the RSX would turn into a "project" and I'm getting lazy. Lol.