General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Need an remote starter/alarm system for manual civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Default Need an remote starter/alarm system for manual civic

Hello everyone, I just got a 2005 Civic SE with a Manual Transmission and I would like to get a remote starter. Any ideas?

Old 09-29-2007, 12:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need an remote starter/alarm system for manual civic

Go to a stealership. I bet they'll have one, or they could order one and even install it.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 AM
HCF Member

I'm not sure they'll have something like that for a manual. There's all sorts of liability issues involved. For instance, what happens if you leave the car in gear and try to start it? (After defeating the clutch-pedal lock-out switch, of course)

Those are the two biggest things you'll run into trying to make this work.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:31 PM
HCF Member

i have a compustar. works great. it has a safety feature built in so that you cant have the car in gear when using autostart. i basically get out of the car and its still running (therefore in neutral) until i close the door and it shuts off on its own. i dont normally park with the car in gear anyway. imo, compustar is the way to go.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

I told you before its a bad idea. But good luck.

All its gonna take is it malfunctioning one time for something bad to happen. I have seen it many times. Guy goes to start his car, relay overloads and the car stalls and jumps right into the car in front of his in the parking lot, or my favorite was my ex ramming the side of her fathers Benz. That was a really fun one.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

i have the viper 791xv works for me

Old 10-08-2007, 07:58 PM

DONT DO IT....unless you go with the compustar i guess, the safety feature is a must. my girlfriend tried to lock my car and hit the automatic start instead and ran my car into a restaurant (only 5 feet away, thank god no damage to the car or restaurant). with a manual it's just a bad idea, i cut the wire for the starter...forget that man i dont use it anway

Old 10-08-2007, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

theres a module made by DEI for a remote start on a manual. its liek the 555c or something like that. PM civicduty96 for the exact info. basically what is is, is that you put the car in neutral pull the e-brake, get out of the car, and arm the alarm. if anything happens to the car (alarm set off, door unlocked or unarmed, etc.) then the remote start will not work. but if nothing happens to the car then it does work. basically just to make sure that the car is still in neutral and the e-brake is still engaged.

but if you do this be extremely cautious, it can still be dangerous if not done properly.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:16 PM

My cheap ebay two way alarm comes with a "reserve" mode that you have to do a certian pattern to allow the car to remote start later, this being said it's brain has to have the transmission option switched to "manual" to make this feature work peoperly (default is auto).......... I personally don't leave my car in gear unless I'm working on the car (wheels/tires/brakes/suspension/ect)...

Me personally I don't need an auto start but the remote start alarms have better options/features (range as well as oled pager) than the simple alarm units (least what I saw with the DEI family's)...