General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

need some advice 08 si

Old 01-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Default RE: need some advice 08 si

WellI had an alignment done and then a few months laterI decided to drop it... so the alignment is off somewhat, but not as bad as it would be if I had never gotten it aligned at all.

The bad alignment will give you uneven tire wear, and eventually cost you money on tires.

I didn't care before because I needed new tires and was going to wait until I got new ones and get it all done at once. Then I got new rims and tires about a month ago for christmas. I need to get the alignment done badly, before I regret not doing it sooner, and I strongly recommend not putting it off.

It pulled to one side a lot, before the alignment, which is why I got it aligned. When I got it aligned, my steering wheel went almost perfectly straight. It didn't pull, but when the steering wheel was straight,it wasn't going exactly straight. Now, it's the same, just the steering wheel is a little more off, but no pulling.

I think you're supposed to get an alignment when you change the overall diameter of the wheel and tire combined, also.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:09 PM
HCF Member

wow im dumb, no wonder why my car was pulling to the right when i put my 20's on, good thing u just told me this i didnt even know i had to do an alignment when i put my 20's on thanks alot man

Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: StinkyOnion

wow im dumb, no wonder why my car was pulling to the right when i put my 20's on, good thing u just told me this i didnt even know i had to do an alignment when i put my 20's on thanks alot man
Well that might not be true, i just meant i think. But hey, sounds to me like you need an alignment though even if I am wrong about the wheel size issue.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:35 PM
HCF Member

well i think that you are correct because with my stock wheels back on the alignment is fine it does not pull to the right

Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 PM

Hmm, well in that case it's definitely your alignment. If you're going to get the springs really soon though you should wait for the alignment until after you get the springs on (so you don't have to pay twice), or your local shop might have a lifetime alignment deal, where you pay extra one time, and get the rest free for life.This could come in handy if you plan on upgrading the suspension and doing it over a period of time. I think i'm going do get that deal when I get my alignment done.

As for springs, I recommend H&R Sport Springs. They are great springs, only drop around 1.75 inches, so I think they'll work well for you. I have them and I absolutely LOVE those springs. Although, if that's too low of a drop for those wheels, you can get the H&R OE Sport Springs, which only drop about half an inch. I bought my Sport Springs for 170 shipped on ebay. Just don't buy no name brand springs. If it's too good to be true, it is - this definitely applies to eBay aftermarket car parts.

Since you have the si, idk if you'll need new shocks or not. I mean, come on, it is an si, I would expect the shocks it came withto be able to handle the drop. But idk, someone will need to confirm that.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

yah def will wait till i put the springs in and then do the alignment, and yah im pretty sure the shocks should be able to handle the drop. but thanks for the help trustdestruction appreciate it

Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
HCF Member

Just to clarify for all of you... if you are just changing the wheels then an alignment is not necessary. Its actually a waste since all you need is to make sure they have been balanced. Now if you change the springs then you DEFINITELY need an alignment. No question about it.

as for the drop... if you got the right wheels/tires then the overall diameter will remain the same. You are basically adding wheel and reducing rubber, but keeping the same height. The ride will be harsh with the reduced "buffer" from the taller tires so the softer the springs the better. With really stiff/short springs and those lowprofile tires you will be hating life. you will feel every crack in the road, literally. Hope there are no potholes in your area because one decent one at speed and you can kiss that wheel goodbye.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 PM

i was doubting that the wheels would make a difference, but when he said he put the old ones on and they worked normal, i was pretty convinced.

are the new wheels' tiresproperly inflated?

Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: trustdestruction
i was doubting that the wheels would make a difference, but when he said he put the old ones on and they worked normal, i was pretty convinced.
are the new wheels' tiresproperly inflated?
I'd be looking at that too, as well as wear, balancing, any possible spacers, bent rims, different offsets, directional treads, etc.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:11 PM
HCF Member

hey thanks for the advice polo, yah im kinda freakin out about hitting a pothole one day with my 20's on, but i just love them and wanna get the car dropped even half a inch, you said to go with the soft springs, which ones would u recommend?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need some advice 08 si