General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

negative effects of Headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Default negative effects of Headers

what up guys.i wanted to know, aside from the gains in horsepower, what are the other [various] negative effects of installing aftermarket headers? Of course, one would burn more fuel but anything else?

I am not very familiar with engine dynamicsand auto performance products but finally have an interest and trying to learn.

Any general insight would help. i have a '00 Civic LX. I'd like to upgrade but also don't want to run into any avoidable problems.

thanks

chicago,westloop

Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: negative effects of Headers

Your mpg will go up not down if you drive normal. I think you should get an air intake before you get a header also. (it's header not headers, 4 cyls only need one)

Old 08-05-2007, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

cant bolt on a turbo

Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 PM
HCF Member

The heat build-up in the engine compartment will usually go up with a header. You can use a heat-wrap on the header pipes to help with that... but it's not nearly as cool as seeing the cool header pipes exposed.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:58 PM

only negative effects I can think of is....... there is none (i think) and a nice little set up would be to get an intake along with the header.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

The heat build-up in the engine compartment will usually go up with a header. You can use a heat-wrap on the header pipes to help with that... but it's not nearly as cool as seeing the cool header pipes exposed.
You could also buy a ceramic coated header like fromDC Sports or SMSP. But I don't really see how a header will make it any hotter than the stock manifold. The stock heatshield really doesn't do much. It's not a problem.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:04 PM
HCF Member

if you get a header as well as a full exhaust, there will be less backpressure in the exhaust, which will result in a slightloss of torque. but the gain in horsepower will make up for it. but if you do a header on stock exhaust there wont be much of a difference.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM
HCF Member

Enginesdo not need backpressure and you will gain torque not lose it with the right diameter piping.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man
But I don't really see how a header will make it any hotter than the stock manifold. The stock heatshield really doesn't do much. It's not a problem.
Header pipes have much thinner walls than stock manifolds - hence, more heat emanation. You're right - ceramic coating helps keep the heat down. But they're much pricier than standard headers, for the most part. And you really do get what you pay for.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

DC Sports ceramic coated headeris cheaper than their stainless steal header. SMSP however does charge over 100 more for their jetback ceramic coating so it depends on the company.

Quick Reply: negative effects of Headers