General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

new to the civic world and looking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Exclamation new to the civic world and looking for some help

Hey guys. i just purchased my first Civic. its a 1998 coupe DX. i wish it was the VTECH but its all i can afford right now. it already has a cold air intake on it but im wondering what else i could do to it to make it a bit better. i know it wont perform like the V-Tech but i still wanna get the most out of it without robbing away from fuel economy. i plan on lowering it 1"-2"'s. it has 14" american racing rims with yokohoma rubber. small, i know but its good enough for now. any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys!

Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 AM
HCF Member

Well, the starting point if you aren't going to turbo in the near future is intake headers and exhaust. If you aren't looking for performance you could upgrade the sound, maybe get some suspension parts. 35 bucks on ebay gets you front and rear upper strut bars that make a noticeable difference and take 15 minutes and 1 socket wrench to install. Then you can visit the DIY forum and do some cheap things like painting your valve cover. It does nothing to car but it looks cool and is fun.

Welcome to the forums btw.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
HCF Member

FYI its VTEC....VTECH is a phone, pretty sure I'd work on suspension/handling stuff first. you can feel it instantly, and isn't too hard.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

he said it already had an intake on it

put a cat-back exhaust on there and a new header...thats a good start.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 PM

alright. thanks for all the input. i've been looking into exhaust but idk if im ready to go full out and get a cat back system. the person before put a "cherry bomb" on it and i personally think that isnt good for the motor and sounds gay. i wanna get a nice performance muffler to give it that "ricer" sound. what are some good mufflers out there?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:07 PM
August 2010 ROTM

Okay, first off a cherry bomb may sound bad, but it won't hurt your engine. Second if you get a nice, name-brand performance muffler, it won't give you a "ricer" sound at all, but a deep, performance sounding tone. If a "ricer" sound is what you're going for, go to e-bay, get a test pipe, and get the cheapest muffler on there. I think I've seen them for like 5 bucks or something... That will definitely give you the "ricer" sound. Why you would want to make your car sound like complete crap is beyond me, though.

Last edited by jwmm04; 05-30-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 PM

ya i'll probably go for the deep tone. the cherry bomb is kinda giving it a higher pitch which i dont like. where could a guy find the type r bumper lips?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:53 PM

also is there and digital chips i could get for the car?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 AM
August 2010 ROTM

Stay away from chips, especially ebay ones. www.phearable.net is the only chipping kit I would even consider. With most chips, other than phearable, the performance is all in your head, and they can actually hurt your engine. As for the lips, ebay is great for them. There inexpensive, and work just as good as any other lip out there, for way less money.

EDIT: I wasn't saying Phearable is the only good chip, it's just the only company I have experience with. I've heard Crome and Uberdata are good, too.

Last edited by jwmm04; 04-28-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:04 AM

alright. thanks. any other tips you guys have? im trying to get a quick little car thats not going to suffer my fuel econemy too too bad. i do alot of highway driving but i still enjoy ripping up town.

Quick Reply: new to the civic world and looking for some help