General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

New to the family, looking for suggestions, tips and info...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Talking New to the family, looking for suggestions, tips and info...

My high school car finally burnt up on me, it was a 99 Ford Taurus. Cost more to fix than the car was worth and it was off to the salvage yard.
However, I've always wanted a Honda so I got a really good deal on a 2001 4 door Civic Ex. I figured if I was going Honda then I had to go manual and I love the vehicle. Only has 110k miles and I plan on keeping it as I begin my journey into the military.
However, I'd like to make this a bit of a project car because I know she gonna last another 250k+ miles. I'm just looking for suggestions from those that have had this car in the past or currently still drive one. What's in my best interest as far as investments into the vehicle. The car is completely stock.
Think of it as a second try to a blank canvas. How would you paint it?

I open to all suggestions... Even if you think it's not worth it, please share your opinion why you think I should hold off.
Thanks guys and I look forward to spending more time on the forum learning about these machines

P.S. Not exactly looking to turn it into hot tuner street car... right now. But I do want to begin the improving process.

Attached Thumbnails New to the family, looking for suggestions, tips and info...-1451.jpg   New to the family, looking for suggestions, tips and info...-img952095.jpg  
Old 01-14-2015, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

first thing you have to do is replace your timing belt which is do at exactly 110,000 miles which is probably why it was a good deal. if that belt snaps or jumps teeth say goodbye to your engine. also your water pump and drive belts need replacement among other maintenance but your timing belt needs to be done ASAP.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 AM

I 2nd that at what the fellow member has mentioned, replace it ASAP ... ( the belt, water pump, tension pulley etc ... )

this is well being feeling knowing that the car wont break down on you and having to junk it afterwards ...

Old 02-03-2015, 05:23 PM
HCF Member

I'm gonna agree with the others on the timing belt, water pump, and accessory belt work. Just don't have it done at a dealer. They want upwards of $800.00 for the job. Ask around your area for a good mechanic that works on Hondas. I had my '05 Civic ex done for $400.00. The garage that did it put a special sticker on the fan shroud with the date and mileage that the works was performed and it also includes the part #'s. Look in your engine bay and see if there's anything like that to show that it's already been done. You never know.
After that, I'd make sure your brake pads and rotors are up to snuff. Check the rear shoes and drums, too. With 110,000 miles, it's just getting broken in. My 05 just turned 154k and it runs like new. Good luck with your new toy.
Duane