General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

New Honda Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 02:45 AM
Default New Honda Owner

Just purchased a 00 Honda Civic Hatch, has 98,000 miles on it. I bought it as a gas saver but I would like it to look nice. Thinking of some Rims, tint, exhaust, and maybe a intank of some type. Would like so idea's from you guys and girls that work on Honda and have there own as what I should get. Please remember that I would like to stay with good gas mileage and I'm working off of a Firefighters budget here so easy on the money part. Oh forgot to mention it is a 5 speed. As of right now everything is standard and would like to keep it as standard as possible with some upgrades. Thanks for everyone's help in advance on this one. Never had a Honda before, always been a Ford Mustang and F-150 man. Thanks again.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:31 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: New Honda Owner

for the rims, get what you like. theres a bunch of sites for rims.15'-16'. maybe 17'.
for the tint. get it done by a pro. 20%.
for the exhaust. it's up to you what you want done, just a muffler, or the whole thing. good brands, magnaflow, vibrant...
for the intake.a standard ebay one will work fine, look into getting a k&n air fliter to replace the ebay one.

niether of the things will effect the gas mileage, except for my the rims if you get a bigger rim then whats on your car, for instance, currently have 15, going to 18's will effect it. prob. not enough to make a difference.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:11 AM
HCF Member

I bought an intake system off Ebay, I noticed a slight increase in mileage. A cat-back, or even a complete exhaust system might also get you a slight increase in mileage, but not nessisarily. best way to increase milage is to alter driving habits, and reduce all possible weight in the car. search the web for "hypermiling" to pick up afew ideas, there is a ton of info out there on that. Best of luck, post some pics

Old 06-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Rims: Look into some 15s or 16s. 17s are too big if you're worried about performance. You have a 4x100 bolt pattern. If you don't mind used, check craigslist.com and ebay.com for some good deals. If you want new, check out tirerack.com or wheelsnext.com (bought my rims there for 500 bucks with tires).

Note: Bigger rims (17"+) are heavier and will decrease WHP (performance) by creating more rotational mass, will create a rougher ride, and might decrease gas mileage.
Smaller rims are lighter and might increase WHP or not affect it. They will be more comfortable and will have a smoother, less bumpy ride. They might increase gas mileage or not affect it.
I recommend 16" if you are concerned about looks and performance, and 15" if you are concerned strictly about performance. 15s still look good too, btw. Also, smaller rims are usually less expensive.

Tint: Get it done professionally. It'll probably run you around $100 or so.

Exhaust: If you want it to sound good, look good, and not rust, rule #1 is: do not buy a no-name exhaust from eBay. Quality costs $$$. However, I recommend using eBay for finding good deals on name brand parts. I also recommend buying one of the quieter exhausts. They aren't that quiet and sound really good. Loud exhausts will annoy you while cruising on the highway... they might even make hearing the stereo difficult. That's what I had to deal with. Also, the cylinder shaped mufflers (a.k.a. fart-cans, coffee-cans, etc.) are all loud, and I think they're ugly. Every time you see a ricer (a.k.a. college kid with decals all over his car, neon lighting, chrome rims, and then their car has barely any performance parts), what do they always have? A fart-can exhaust.
I recommend GReddy SP2, Apex-i WS2, RS*R Ex-mag (all those 3 are quieter), and if you want a little louder I recommend the GReddy EVO2.

Here is a link to the Exhaust FAQ. It'll tell you which exhausts are loud/medium/quiet, and other information. You can hear exhaust sound clips on youtube to get a sense of which one you want.

Intake: For the man on the budget, I recommend buying an eBay intake and slapping on a different, name-brand filter (AEM, K&N, Injen, Apex-i, etc.). eBay filters just plain suck, however the piping is fine... it's just piping.

You have two options: SRI (Short Ram Intake), or Cold Air Intake (CAI). With a CAI you risk sucking in water and hydro-locking your engine, all for only 1, maybe 2 more hp than a short ram. Short ram is the way to go, unless it barely rains where you live.

Here is a link to the Intake FAQ.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:44 AM

Thank you all for your advise. I will put a pic of the car on shortly and then maybe later once I do my minor mods I will post another. Thanks again to all that replied and put some input in.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 AM

Here is a pic.