General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

New LX/EX or Si......

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM
HCF Member
Default New LX/EX or Si......

I have a few questions about the new civic models... If I do get one, it'll be a 2007+.. now,
The differences between the LX and EX are limited, just a few minor things, so it's basically the same car... But the ex and lx are about the same price.. atleast the ones I've looked at so it'd be better to go with the EX right?
Im attracted to the Si's sporty look and I've heard it handles and rides better than the other models, is this correct? Also, the gas mileage on an EX/LX averages between 32-38 mpg from what I've read and the Si averages about 22-29 mpg but is it true that it runs on premium gasoline only? If so, it's still not that bad and prem. gas is supposed to burn cleaner and give you slightly better gas mileage??

Taking money out of the picture because I can find an 07 Si Sedan for no more than $1500-$2000 more than a EX.... Would it be worth it to get the Si over the EX/LX model? And I dislike the coupes.. Do the Sedans get worse gas mileage and are they slower?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

EDIT, The Si has a WAY better sound system over the EX/LX 160 watt system... doesnt it?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 AM
HCF Member

Also.. The EX should have VTEC, and the LX does not. Also, the EX has some more features over the LX.

The Si has really tight, sport suspension which is amazing(My grandpa has a Si) and overall the car in itself is amazing. It has a K20z3 in it, I believe and has 190ish hp. The k20z3 is 11.x.x compression, so it has to be ran on 91+

But, if you want performance go with the Si, if you want pure economy go with the LX or EX. But if you go with the Si, you won't be dissapointed.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Vilex
Also.. The EX should have VTEC, and the LX does not. Also, the EX has some more features over the LX.
incorrect. 06-08 civics all have VTEC and the same engine, except for the Si (has VTEC, but different engine).

Originally Posted by BeitzelSi
I have a few questions about the new civic models... If I do get one, it'll be a 2007+.. now,
The differences between the LX and EX are limited, just a few minor things, so it's basically the same car... But the ex and lx are about the same price.. atleast the ones I've looked at so it'd be better to go with the EX right?
Im attracted to the Si's sporty look and I've heard it handles and rides better than the other models, is this correct? Also, the gas mileage on an EX/LX averages between 32-38 mpg from what I've read and the Si averages about 22-29 mpg but is it true that it runs on premium gasoline only? If so, it's still not that bad and prem. gas is supposed to burn cleaner and give you slightly better gas mileage??

Taking money out of the picture because I can find an 07 Si Sedan for no more than $1500-$2000 more than a EX.... Would it be worth it to get the Si over the EX/LX model? And I dislike the coupes.. Do the Sedans get worse gas mileage and are they slower?
EX has a sunroof, LX does not. There are other things but I don't remember. If you go to Honda.com you can compare the 2 models side by side and it will tell you the differences.

The Si runs on premium because the motor has higher compression and needs premium fuel because of premium fuel's resistance to preigniting.

Si coupes and sedans get the same gas mileage and are just as fast as each other.

Si is way better than the other models. I suspect that it would also retain its value over the years much better, which has been previously proved with the 99-00 Si.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 08-14-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:44 AM
HCF Member

Si all the way

Old 08-31-2008, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

si... no question.. sedans get the same mileage and are just as fast....
In THEORY a coupe is faster because they only have 2 doors, but we're talking THEORY at that point..
Sedans are way more practical than coupes, I'd say the 4-door si is about the coolest car out there right now.

As far as between the LX and EX.. yeah, like mentioned earlier, same engine.. Between those two, I'd probably get the lx and put the $2000 saved into fun aftermarket parts for the car... the only thing I like about the new EX way more than the LX is rear disc brakes instead of drums....

Don't be sacred off by high octane gas, its a good problem to have. Engine's designed for higher octane have higher compression and are getting a little more power out of the gasoline than lower compression engines.
Please please please do not buy into that argument of, "put normal octane in and your engine can compensate, so save the money.".... while it is technically true that modern high compression engines can modify to timing to run on regular gas, you're loosing out on a few hp and mpg....
Its like taking an olympic athlete and feeding them nothing but Taco Bell for every meal and saying, "see, they still do just fine!"

Sorry, thats just a soap box for me.. I have read so many articles in newspapers and magazine in the generic "ask the mechanic" sections... people will write in saying they have some BMW 5 or 7 series or some high dollar Lexus and will be complaining about having to put "that expensive" gas in.. and the moron "mechanic" writes back saying to go ahead and put 87 octane gas in since the engine will run fine either way.... BULL CRAP.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 AM
HCF Member

The Si is a much better car all around... you'd definitely enjoy 'driving' the car much more than the others. Better platform to start your tuning from as well.