General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

New to the scene.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Default New to the scene.

Hey everyone. Well to start i am new to the car scene in general so if you guys could give me some advice first of all about cars and how the engine works and things like that. Sencondly i amlooking to get a honda i just don't know what to get. I will be on a 5K budget just for the car then ill save up for parts as i go along but i was wondering being that i would rather have a clean looking car (not to ricey) what type of honda should i look into. To give you some ideas i would like to build something simple like this.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149865/

All in all please help me to find the right car for me.
1. Easily upgrageable.
2.Want to make it look good while adding some perforemance parts such as headers, intake and exaust.

Thanks in advanced and sorry if this is long.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 PM

92-00 civic EX, preferably the 92-95 EX, i just think they look better, and there's less of them driving around.
If you're going to want VTEC you need to get an EX or the 92-95 Si (99-00 Si is out of the question on your budget and there is no such thing as a 96-98 Si). Also, stay away from automatics if you care about performance/coolness (people always mess with civic owners, especially if you have a modified automatic) , and possibly stay away from 4-doors (i think they usually look weird modified).

Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

I totally agree with destruction. Go with 2 door and a model you don't seem much of. And go clean. Unless you are going to go more with appearance modifying than engine. But it sounds like you won't have much money to put into upgrades. So I would get the cleanest best looking one you can find.

Definitely don't get an automatic. I dont' even know why people drive automatics, and even worse, modify them.

Last edited by Apostle; 08-05-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

Definitely don't get an automatic. I dont' even know why people drive automatics, and even worse, modify them.
A driver after my own heart. Manual is the only way to drive, especially in something like a civic where you need to shift alot to keep decent power. A civic is already an underpowered car but with a manual the power is tolerable and its fun to drive

Yeah I'd go with a coupe or hatch, I like the 92-95 and 96-00 body styles about the same, I like different things from each. For hatch I definitely like 92-95 more though. As said, if you want VTEC look into the EX and Si trims

Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM

yea, i speak against getting a 4-door or automatic out of experience. i had both, it was the worst mistake i've ever made when it comes to cars. also what made it bad is I bought a DX and at that point i didn't know the DX engine was so weak.
My old civic sucked. this is why:
1. automatic
2. sedan
3. DX model (no power options, no VTEC)
4. tan interior (grossly ugly)

i modified it which was dumb of me, i should have gotten a different car right away. luckily all the parts i bought for that civic were interchangeable with parts on my Del Sol. I swapped all those parts, converted the civic to stock by using the Del Sol's parts, and put all the goodies from the civic onto my Del Sol. then i sold the civic to some kid who didn't know about VTEC or why you should get a manual rather than an auto.

the only one of those options you will have that i think is actually not that bad is getting a 4-door. If you really feel that you need a car with 4-doors, get it... but if you want it to look sporty and don't think you will barely use all the doors for anything, get a coupe or hatch.