General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

newb looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Default newb looking for suggestions

Hello just acquired a 95 civic ex coupe auto with vtec i think its the d16z6 now the bads needs somwe body work rear quarters have rust the spedo works whenever it feels the radio which is aftermarket works like crap don't pull alot of stations in the dome light don't work with drivers door the heater control light doesn't work. I love to tinker and wanna fix it up anybody have any suggestions on some simple things I can do over the winter time interior exterior ect. Is this a good motor? I am very very new to civics was a neon guy but moved on lol. thank you

Old 12-13-2009, 12:14 AM
HCF Member

Ok, the motor? is great (if its in good shape, chances are it will be because.. well.... its a honda) the rust on the rear quarters? well.. to be brutaly honest.. if you have holes.. cant do much, you ***can*** fix it... but its EXTREAMLY time consuming... and not a very pleasent thing to do... the Stereo, check the antenna connection in the back, other then that check to see if the antenna has its ground screw in (its on the outside where the antenna meets the roof, take the plastic cover off and you will see what i mean) if the dome light does not work, could be the door sensor, its a little black thing encased in rubber, if the mounting screw is removed the switch will not have a ground, thus it wont work ( I did this to my car to stop the door ding so i could have my stereo on with my doors open with no ding) the speedo? loose wire, take the gauge cluster out, ***should*** be an easy fix. Heater control light? put a new one it (easy take the dash assembly out, go to the wreckers, get a few bulbs)

BAM think thats about everything... Oh ya, get a Haynes manual. Do an oil change, if you can, find out how long ago the timing belt was done, if you cant find out, probably best to do a timing belt on it (do the water pump at the same time) its all easy, one thing you will find with these cars? they are GREAT to work on.

Cheers,
Largen.

P.S. with the timing belt, only think about doing it if the car has around 100,000 or more (chances are it does, just figured id add that)

Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 PM

its the door switch must be weak or something does not come out all the way to let light come on

Old 12-17-2009, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by talonguy
if body aint good leave it.
this guy is abot.
ughh, annoying.

try sanding and slowly cleaning up the rust but without sanding the paint. then repaint it. if you have.