General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Newbie herto the JDM scene need little help with my HX

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Default Newbie herto the JDM scene need little help with my HX

Hey guys well like I said im a newbie here Finnally got a hold of EK for cheap so I picked it up, Now i just have a few questions if you can help me out. I bought a 97 Civic HX 5sp Now my question is basically what can I do to make it into a EX im pretty sure i have the d16y5 its all stock vtec i believe but its pretty much gutless and I want to make it a little quicker I dont have too much to spend so lets not go crazy here thanks guys

Old 07-05-2011, 05:37 AM

If you have a single cam, you can install an exhaust, intake, and header for fun, but you will not gain much.

The only way to get any real power out of a D series would be to boost, or just swap out the motor.

If you don't have much to spend, I would look towards lowering the car, picking up a lip kit, and getting some wheels.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Well I don't need lowering and rims I have the nice HX rims that everyone wants I might trade them for Si rims but other then that I'm trying to stay away from lowering but I'm more wanting to do engine work more then cosmetic, my friends say just slap a ex ECU and it will gian some power others say I need an EX tranny and so on so I'm Not sure with everyone telling me somehing different I'm a little confused.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 AM

Do not just slap a different ECU in it. You have a lean burn vehicle, the EX is not. I am sure you will throw a CEL if you just throw a different ECU in.

You should convert to the EX style exhaust (check the exhaust stickies), and convert to the Y8 Intake manifold if you want to tinker with things. Don't invest too much as you will not gain too much power.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:12 AM

Ok I get it, well I'm not going to go get a stock muffler I have a magnaflow muffler from my GTO that I'm planning to slap on there. So you're saying it's just best to get a d16y8 or b16 and I'm prob going to need a new tranny and axles and new ECU right??

Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 AM

The HX trans will bolt to a D16y8 motor. However, you won't get a noticeable power gain from a d16y8 swap. And again, the only way to get power from a D series is to boost IMO. I had a y8 with all bolt ons and a stage 2 cam, and it was still slow as hell. Threw a supercharger on it and LOVED it even though it only put out 168whp/141wtq.

A B16, depending on where you get it from will cost some money. I guess I never asked, how much money do you want to put into this car? How much power do you want?

In my opinion, a B16 is worthless. Looks at the power/torque numbers compared to a D16y8. Hardly enough to justify spending the money. However, many people swap B16's in and are content with it. If you are going to do a B swap, I would look into a B18c1 (GSR motor), or a B18c5 (Type R motor) if you have the money.

Currently, I am working on installing a JDM H22A into my EK coupe (~220 hp/ 160 tq), but it is proving to be a challenge. Not to mention how much money I have spent on everything so far.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Well I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars I mean 1 because I don't have the cash and 2 because I allready have a muslce car that's plenty fast but I do want a little power out of the civic and this past weekend I rode in my buddy's ex 4dr and it was mostly stock and I liked the feel of it I'm just wondering what I would need to be there with him because of my Y5 motor and econo vtec and also the CVT tranny

Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Got it. I forgot the HX's were a CVT trans. The EX you rode in has the D16y8 (as I am sure you knew that already), and swapping your y5 out for the y8 would be pretty simple as most everything is compatible between the two motors. You should be able to use the same axles, you would want to get the D16y8 ECU if that is what you plan on swapping in though.

However, with limited funds, I would just swap to the Y8 intake manifold/TB set-up, in addition to converting to the y8 exhaust set-up. It won't give you much power, but I am sure it will help the motor breathe a little bit better

Old 07-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Maybe it would work to put a D16Y8 head onto your Y5 block. I think the blocks are the same. The HX head, manifolds, and ECU are all tuned for economy instead of power. And of course swap the CVT out to a manual.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 AM
gwl
HCF Member

I bought a 97 HX 5 speed new off the lot. The HX model are very desirable for their great mpgs but was weak in the hp department. You should really get another Civic because there are a bunch of people wanting a HX. Before I had my engine rebuilt, I was contemplating a motor/trans swap. I decided to leave it stock.

If your HX is in decent shape, you can probably sell it for a profit and buy another Civic with a d16y8. Or you can pull the whole motor, trans, harness, and ECU and sell it. Then buy a complete swap that you want.

Quick Reply: Newbie herto the JDM scene need little help with my HX