General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

newer motor wont fire up

Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
HCF Member
Default newer motor wont fire up

So we got everything set up with my newer motor .. We took the old out put the new in... put the turbo kit in did all the wiring and everything got everythin set up the timing was off the first two times but we fixed it but its like everytime we do it it seems a lil off everytime it cranks over but wont fire up we get so back fire a lil bit i dont think its the timing my friend does ... Anybody have any suggestions ill take a vid if neccessary ...

Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: newer motor wont fire up

well what was stoping my new motor from running was the distributor cap was coroded over inside on the terminals and i also flooded the motor from trying to start it....

just be sure everythings pluged in!
i screwed around for around an hour until i remembered i had unpluged the fuel pump originaly.LOL

its definatly frustrating i know that first hand! i was so frustrated i was about to give up and sell it as is.... BUT as soon as i fired it up i was happy as hell!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:21 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Thefbomb13

So we got everything set up with my newer motor .. We took the old out put the new in... put the turbo kit in did all the wiring and everything got everythin set up the timing was off the first two times but we fixed it but its like everytime we do it it seems a lil off everytime it cranks over but wont fire up we get so back fire a lil bit i dont think its the timing my friend does ... Anybody have any suggestions ill take a vid if neccessary ...
Sounds like you've got the firing order screwed up. I know it seems impossible to screw up something so simple, but just go back and check it out. I did the exact same thing when I did my swap and felt like an artard

Old 04-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Cranking it with the timing wrong could have damaged the valves. A compression test will show that.

The timing marks never line up quite exactly because you can only set it in increments of one tooth on the belt. So you need to be within that one tooth range is the best you can do.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:41 AM
HCF Member

I had the smae problem when I went to change my timing belt and water pump for the first time, I couldn't seem to get it on the dot with timing and 1 or 2 cyclinders would start then it would stall. I just ended up getting it towed to a shop up the street and they fixed it for 50 bucks, I got too frustruated, lol. But yeah double check timing and your firing order.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: Thefbomb13

Sounds like you've got the firing order screwed up. I know it seems impossible to screw up something so simple, but just go back and check it out. I did the exact same thing when I did my swap and felt like an artard
How could i have screwed up the firing order on a 02 civic i have coil packs? lol not to be rude jw

Whats the best way to time an 02 civic? anyone?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

and whats the best way to unflood the motor if possible?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Not sure about Honda's but most coil pack systems fire sparks based on a sensor at the crank -- not adjustable at all. You still have to get the timing belt right though.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 AM
HCF Member

Would you say its just the timin?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if ya think ya flooded the motor simply pull the spark plugs out for alittle while... the air should dry up the gas on the plug and in the cylinder being exposed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: newer motor wont fire up