General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

next project

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 PM
HCF Member
Default next project

College is starting soon and I don't have much time to get something done to my car (going to NHCTC to get trained to be a Honda/Acura mechanic ). I haven't done any major modding to my car for a couple months and I'm getting the itch lol. I've had these halo projectors in my garage for awhile, hadn't put them onyet because of two reasons.... worried about getting a ticket (cause they are not legal in my state), and the lack of knowledge with electrical wiring (one of my first classes this semesterwill beelectrical wiring, so I dunno if I should wait or not). I hear that you got to ground the wires which means cutting or spliceing them or something. Is there a DIY on here with pics by any chance or has someone done this and can explain itto a newb?

I also want to paint my valve cover, I did it to my brothers old car he doesn't use anymoreand it came out pretty good considering. I just used black gloss engine enamel paint (3-4 coats)no clear coat and didn't do the best job getting all the old paint off (flakes). I obviously want to do a better job with mine and also want to keep the "HONDA" letters. I checked out a DIY on this and think it would be fun to do also. Using a block of wood and sandpapering the letters to give it a shine and make it even. I hope I can find that thread again..... not sure if I saw that in the DIY section or not

I dunno which I should do... I'm actually leaning towards painting the valve cover now thinking about it

Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: next project

wirings easy... just as long as you don't create shorts, or cross wires... and remember to ground to a good solid part of the frame.

and splicing wires together is easy, get some solder, a butane lighter(not a bic, must go hotter to get good liquifacation) strip the shielding off the wires, put a heat shrink cover/shield on the cable(making sure that its longer than the splice). take the two exposed wire ends, twist them onto each other a bit, fire up the lighter, and bring the solder near/into the flame and let it bead off directly onto the wires, 4-5 good drops should do. then take the heat-shrink cover you have already on, and cover it up. then use the lighter to shrink the shield, and voila a quick basic splice.

course you can also go the other route of buying a crimping kit... but the solder will do a much better connection, and with the shrinking stuff it makes it more water and air resistant...

NOW i'm sure someone will come in and interject or something with some area i've said wrong to them or not quite up to what they do (ie no soldering gun/iron) but thats essentially it, you are going to melt some metal to join two wires together.

do to things in series or parrallel... well don't remember that off the top of my head too well.. but i'm sure you'll learn all abouts this in class... ohh and make sure you have the proper gauge wire... and disconnect the battery before you do any work... ya don't want any live wires

good luck in school