General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

No power from outlet in dash??? View pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Default No power from outlet in dash??? View pictures

My outlet was loose and didnt power my cell phone or anything so I decided to take apart the dash and have a look inside. I have no idea why it doesnt work. Maybe these pictures can give a clue?

If not, any ideas? What should I do to get this fixed?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Default RE: No power from outlet in dash??? View pictures

i know my civic is a different generation, but... my 12V socket has 3 wires coming out of it. yours has 2. I'm not sure if thats just howyours issupposed to be, but you might want to research that

Old 12-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The third wire used on some types is just for a light inside to make it easier to find the hole at night.

Have you checked the fuse yet? I think it will be one of the ones under the dashboard, probably a 15 amp. Next would be to obtain a voltmeter or test light and make sure that power is reaching the two wires.

There doesn't appear to be anything physically wrong with the unit that's visible in the photos.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: mk378

The third wire used on some types is just for a light inside to make it easier to find the hole at night.
i should have known that. i don't unplug my ipod charger much though so i don't notice the light inside. anyway i guess that rules out that idea. wouldn't ablown fuse make his radio not work though? aren't they on the same circuit?

Old 12-26-2007, 05:46 PM

Yah, my radio works fine.. I just put a nice pioneer in without a hitch.

I dont know where to locate the fuse responsible for this outlet either....

Should i go to some kind of shop and ask them? I really dont know what to do but it's important for me to be able to use my USB charger in my car.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:56 PM

the fuse box will be under the drivers side lower dash (kick panel) and there should be a little door for it. The door should have a key on it that say what fuse does what

Old 12-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Or you can just check them all. It's real simple with a test light. Hook the light's wire to ground, turn the key on, and probe each little test point on the top of every fuse. If you find a fuse where it lights only on one side, that fuse is blown.

The little fuse checker that you touch both points on the fuse and it's supposed to light up when the fuse is blown isn't as reliable as the method above.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:56 PM
HCF Member

Or maybe it can be a bad ground that was the problem on my 94 accord

O yeah I forgot something your USB adapter on the tip where it plugs in it should have a fuse inside sometimes does fuses go bad.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:25 AM

O yeah I forgot something your USB adapter on the tip where it plugs in it should have a fuse inside sometimes does fuses go bad.
Works fine in the other car

Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: trustdestruction

the fuse box will be under the drivers side lower dash (kick panel) and there should be a little door for it. The door should have a key on it that say what fuse does what
BAM! Figured it out.. For some reason the wrong fuse was in place. The key said it was supposed to have a 10 but there was a 7.5. I popped in a 10 fuse and it worked.

I'd of never figured that out if it werent for this forum. Thank you!

I can't even tell you what a luxury it is to be able to power all my USB devices now.

Quick Reply: No power from outlet in dash??? View pictures