General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Noob question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Default Noob question

I just bought my first Honda, it's a 95 civic 4dr. I will mostly be using it for a commuter, so won't be doing a whole lot to(for now.) I was just wondering if there are anything I should look out for, I guess I should have asked this before I bought it. Everything seemed to be working except the rear windows didn't roll down. I noticed when I drove it that the brakes didn't seem to be the best, I'll check them out once I get some time. I'll switch it over to Amsoil when I get a chance and check all the other fluids. The body has a few dings and scratches, but I guess I can't complain, I got it for 1500 bucks. Around here this car would be almost double that.
Thanks for any tips and I look forward to learning about Hondas'.

Brian

Old 07-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Default RE: Noob question

i would just really say to check those brakes out, make sure your tires are good, make sure the fluids look good and are at the right levels. Also, make sure the timing belt has been changed. If you're at 90K miles or over and it hasn't been changed you need to do it ASAP before it breaks. It should be changed every 90K miles i think that's what it was.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Is there any way to tell if the timing belt has been changed? How hard is it to change?

Old 07-12-2008, 06:50 PM

well if there's no records it's probably best to assume it hasn't been changed. if it breaks so will your engine. our honda engines are interference engines and if the timing belt snaps there is almost a 100% chance of serious engine damage.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:51 PM

it's not that hard to change. Hardest part will be getting the crank pulley bolt off. They make a special tool for it if you can't get it off. go to amazon and search for honda crank pulley bolt remover or something along those lines.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 PM

you'll need a manual, tools, and a weekend incase you run into problems

Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 PM
HCF Member

the thing about hondas is that they are really reliable, but small stuff tends to break such as the window. I have had that problem twice where it wouldnt roll up so go have those check out, could be bad wires, motor, alternator, window of the tracks. There is a DIY on how to check that stuff out

Old 07-13-2008, 03:13 AM

Take it to a Jiffy lube or some place and run a full tune-up.

New brakes are a must :-)

Safety is a priority.

When I bought my car, I had a bunch of things wrong.... including brakes.

I took it down and got new ones.... or pads... I'm not sure.

I want to get Brembo brakes... but I'm not sure on how hard or how much brake conversion would cost...?

Old 07-13-2008, 05:42 AM

I think the windows are just off the track, I can hear the motor when I hit the button. A tune up is on the list along with brakes. I'll do as much of the work as I can. I've been doing brakes and tuneups on my trucks for years, unless there are special tools required I should be able to do it. I'll look into how much I can get the timing belt replaced for, if it's too much I'll see if I can get the tools and do it myself.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:43 AM

By the way, does anyone know of a good place to buy parts online?

Quick Reply: Noob question