General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

NOOB Wants some ideas!

Old 09-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Default NOOB Wants some ideas!

Hey all whats up? Im glad to be apart of the Civic crowd now. I am wondering though, what motor should i put into my car. I have whatever came with the 97 dx which i think is a d16a or something. Whats the most buildable motor honda offers for these cars. Sorry for the stupid questions, im a toyota person so having a honda is a bit different...

Old 09-09-2004, 03:24 AM
NTX
HCF Member
Default RE: NOOB Wants some ideas!

pretty much the same as this....

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/moto.../m_5787/tm.htm

this might help

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/Engi.../m_3656/tm.htm

Old 09-11-2004, 07:00 PM

Thanks. I have decided to go with a gsr motor. Maybe a frankenstein which is a GSR with a type r head right? If im correct, where can i get the head from? Thanks in advance...

Old 09-11-2004, 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Hawk284

Thanks. I have decided to go with a gsr motor. Maybe a frankenstein which is a GSR with a type r head right? If im correct, where can i get the head from? Thanks in advance...
gsr with a itr head is a poor mans type r... can't remember what the frankenstein is.

Old 09-11-2004, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

the frankenstein is an ls b18a or b with a vtec head. personally id advise the straight GSR motor or GSR block with a b16 head. the ls block isnt made to stand up to that high of revs and power for long. the vtec blocks have oil squirters to cool the pistons and a big main girdle to brace the motor.

Old 09-12-2004, 01:42 AM

if you're going for a b16 head you might as well get a type r Head, sure it's the same head but it has tons of differences really, it's ported and polished, higher lift cams.

Old 09-12-2004, 04:02 PM

OK so wait. What model is an LS motor? Im new to the honda thing so cut me some slack . The B18A-B doesnt come with vtec? All this confusion im wondering if i should stay with my SOHC and just turbo it. What about just getting a GSR and throwing a turbo into it? How much power could i get from that?

Old 09-12-2004, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

for the cost of the type r head, you can get some skunk2 stage 2 cams and type r (or gsr intake) dual valve springs on the exhaust side, and make more power than the type r head. the P&P is relatively light, and the money is well spent elsewhere. if you get serious about power, then the type r cams wont be enough after some mods. nor will the P&P, yeah the type r head is best, but isn't always worth it. if you want to put a head on it then leave it alone, then go with the type r, if you want to keep building it, then get a b16a head and get some work done to it, it will vastly outperform the stock type r unit, if you have the money, go with the type r, if not, get a b16a head and upgrade it as you go. a type r head can set you back as much as $1800, and a b16 head can be had between 300-600. the ls motor is out of a non-gsr integra. the b18a is out of the 90-93 ls (also rs, gs) and the b18b is same thing but out of 94+. the gsr has pretty high compression, so turbocharging it is tricky, done right, it can be potent, with instant spool, and it can also grenade your motor in short order. if you go gsr turbo, then do it all right and get it tuned by a pro.

Old 09-13-2004, 01:44 AM
HCF Member

Does no one use the search button? I swear this same question is asked EVERYDAY... sorry, but its getting kinda old.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:06 AM
NTX
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: polo708

Does no one use the search button? I swear this same question is asked EVERYDAY... sorry, but its getting kinda old.
i think alot of people just don't want to read the old posts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NOOB Wants some ideas!