General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

(NOT Derogatory) 4 cyl + mods = ricer

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:39 PM
HCF Member
Default (NOT Derogatory) 4 cyl + mods = ricer

Ive noticed that there are alot of posts on this forum about is this too "ricey" or is that "rice" ..and even when someone new says you guys are ricers everyone goes into arms. Now i own a 99dx hb and i love it ...but ive also onwed a muscle car, luxury car, offroad vehicle and now my import. BUT! when you take a 4cyl engine and turbo it and build it up or do any body modifications you are a RICER ....there are however levels of ricer from Clean to ---- OMFG its ebay parts make it look like it can fly! The term RICER comes from the engine the cars run on ... the 4 cyl from overseas..thus the rice burner joke......we are RICERS we have clean ones and we have the red headed step children that need to be taught class.....i just dont understand why people cant accept this.

Please no flames, i mean no offence by what i say.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:15 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: (NOT Derogatory) 4 cyl + mods = ricer

asia isn't the only continent to produce four cylinder vehicles. and modification doesn't make you a ricer, and i really don't care what your argument is against it, so don't argue.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

a ricer/poser is anyone that takes any car and makes it look really cheap and stupid. This could mean a v6 mustang with a body kit on stock rims/tires where the body kits hangs out about 2-3 inches out from the wheels. It could be any car with a big wooden wing. Any car without a hood or fake exhaust tip, or any annoyingly cheap exhaust.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

one thing i wonder is why is a exhaust tip FAKE. LMFAO seriously.... a exaust tip is just to make the exit pipe that is viewable look good..... its not like you can gain HP or sound from the tip.... so what is a FAKE tip? is it just like white PCV pipe.LOL its shiny steel so its REAL.

but anyways to me RICE is something that was done without any taste involved... most body kits are rice because they are way to HUGE, and fitment sucks and it is VERY RARE when someone will actualy cut up the new body kit to fix it and make it look and fit right.... with UB lights its only RICE if you can see the lights and its not a full UB kit just short lights!
and any interior trim parts that are painted that doesnt match with the interior or exterior! or just way to much of the interior painted.LOL

only way its nice is if it was done right and the car has a complete flow..... id like to think i have a nice flow with my civic. i still got more i want to do but when i do something to my car it sbeen planned out to flow with the car as a whole....

Old 05-24-2008, 08:51 PM
HCF Member

I'm probably going to get flamed for putting it this way but I think that ricer is the same as the n word for black people. It used to be used as always negative toward us but now we can use it ourselves to call each other it. lol.

Basically what I mean is that the term started with muscle car guys calling anyone with a Japanese car a ricer. Thats where they get rice from, the Japanese eat a lot of rice (that is stereotypical also...) and now it has evolved to where people within the import scene only think someone is a ricer if they make pointless mods to their car like a body kit or something. We have to face it, not matter how clean we think our cars look, even people with mad tyte JDM cars will still be called a ricer by some people.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man

I'm probably going to get flamed for putting it this way but I think that ricer is the same as the n word for black people. It used to be used as always negative toward us but now we can use it ourselves to call each other it. lol.

Basically what I mean is that the term started with muscle car guys calling anyone with a Japanese car a ricer. Thats where they get rice from, the Japanese eat a lot of rice (that is stereotypical also...) and now it has evolved to where people within the import scene only think someone is a ricer if they make pointless mods to their car like a body kit or something. We have to face it, not matter how clean we think our cars look, even people with mad tyte JDM cars will still be called a ricer by some people.
couldnt have said it better myself

Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 PM
HCF Member

I agree with you mr. mobsta..i guess i just dont understand why its so negative. Even some of the over the top cars that people complain are too ricey would kick the $hit out of most muscle cars...and god knows in the handling/suspension department there is no contest. Plus ive always considered "Ricers" ill jsut say import tuners from now on, smarter than the average muscle car guy... While i jsut bolt on a bigger carb. from my local auto parts store.. you guys are custom fitting turbos and learing to chip and tune...so much more knowledge and understanding about every spect of the car than most people will ever admit. Almost seems like you guys decided what your version of a ricer was ...and its a hell of alot worse than what we used it for...

Old 05-25-2008, 03:32 AM
HCF Member

I definitely agree with mobsta. The term rice or ricer has evolved into what it is today from a negative beginning. I was a teenager in the 1970's so I have some first hand knowledge. I had cars like a 1968 Oldsmobile 442 and a 1970 Lemans Sport, you know heavy detroit steel. The cars would fly man, I mean really haul butt. Pass anything but a gas station and so on. Probably in the early to mid 80's I remember hearing people refer toJapanese cars as "rice rockets" or "rice burners" and the people who owned the car themselves as a "ricer" especially if they had done any type of modifications.

Now I have a Civic and know it's more fun to drive than any of those old muscle cars. Call me anything you want, I'm having fun. I enjoy getting over 30 miles to the gallon too.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

true. i love american muscle BUT i hate paying for all that dam gas! back when i was a kid cruising around in my 66impala gas was still only like 1buck for the best stuff per gallon. (yes i feel old saying this)

theres gonna be a time when trucks will not be able to be daily driven unless you got alot of cash to keep gas in it...

Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 AM

You guys forgot the most rice examples...
Huge ugly graphics/decals, huge stickers, ebay coffee can exhaust, and altezza taillights.

But anyway, rice is referred to usually nowadays as people with tasteless mods and ebay parts, and little to no performance modification but tons of appearance mods. I only refer to them as rice if it has an overly-flashy appearance.

I mean I see some cars in magazines that look rice, but they got tons of performance mods so to me it kinda earns them the choice to do whatever to the appearance they want without being called rice since they got so much horsepower and quality performance mods to back it up. Or if someone calls them rice they'll just get whooped in a race by them. If I had one of those cars, I might leave it all riced out just so i'd get picked on by mustangs... and then i'd whoop their *** with it.

Usually it is ignorant closed-minded hardcore domestic drivers who call everyone with a japanese car a ricer. I think it's because they feel insecure about potentially being able to get there V8 american muscle whooped by a 4 cylinder modified economy car. They can say all they want though when it costs them $60 to fill up at the pump while I still have half a tank and won't fill up until next week. ha... HA!

Quick Reply: (NOT Derogatory) 4 cyl + mods = ricer