General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

oil pressure reading?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 AM
HCF Member
Default oil pressure reading?

i just had a grounding kit and a new oil filter sandwich adapter installed in my 93 civic. the latter replaced an old setup made up of a long line of brass fittings. this is where i have my oil temp and oil pressure sender attached to.

in the old setup, my readings were 80 psi at the first start of the day, and gradually eases down until it settles at 10 psi at 80 deg. centigrade. the latter values confirm the normal readings in the civic tech manual. now, with these new improvements, i notice 100 psi at start and settles to 30 psi at 80 deg. cent. are these a result of the better grounding i get in that the oil pump works better or perhaps my gauge is defective?

if this is of any help, here are my new ground points: alternator, engine block, valve cover, and intake manifold. all connected to the negative pole on the battery. if its any relevance, i also had a voltage stabilizer installed.

if these readings are true, isn't this bad for my car that perhaps it overboosts the oil and will eventually blow my oil lines?

thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: oil pressure reading?

Are you measuring pressure before the filter, or after? I thought the bypass valve in the oil pump is set to limit pressure out of the pump to about 80 psi.

The oil pump is not electric at all of course, it's performance depends only on engine rpm and various oil-system factors. Electric gauges are likely to read improperly if there is a voltage difference between sender ground and gauge ground.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 AM
HCF Member

it is before the oil filter, on the adaptor that is placed between the engine and the filter. why does its location matter? i am thinking that since this is the design of that adaptor, i feel its more like an electrical issue here?

i thought of that ground issue too though. you're saying that that bypass valve is set up to 80 psi regardless of any fancy grounding? chances are my gauge is giving out a wrong reading then? even with the ignition set on "on" without the engine running yet, the reading is at around 24psi. sounds like a grounding problem perhaps?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Obviously your gauge is wrong since it doesn't read zero with the engine stopped. Try running the ground wire from the gauge head all the way back to the sender and ground it to the sender, instead of grounding it at the dashboard. Also the sender must be grounded to the rest of the car.

I think it would be more informative to measure oil pressure after the filter, so you would notice if the filter is clogged.

The oil system is totally mechanical. Nothing electric at all. Fancy grounding won't affect your oil pressure.