General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

oil verses oil

Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Royal purple? That's pretty good right?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned

no royal purple sucks.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 AM

Y does it suck? Can y change the oil? I've heard that once you use it you got to stick to it. Is that true?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by TexusMain
I've heard that once you use it you got to stick to it. Is that true?
That is not true. You can change to a different brand/type of oil any time you want.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TexusMain
Y does it suck? Can y change the oil? I've heard that once you use it you got to stick to it. Is that true?
it breaks down very quickly not giving you proper wear protection sought after in a synthetic oil if you read the analysis section in the website i posted you can see for yourself. and i really don't know why people have this notion that royal purple has to be used when you run it in your engine its the stupidest thing ive ever heard its just oil with purple die mixed into it.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 PM
HCF Member

I run pennzoil ultra. Supposedly Ferrari goes by this oil and nothing else. Hard to find in some stores, only certain autozone's carry it, my walmart does too.

Amsoil synthetic would be another top choice, probably can't go wrong with either of these.

3rd I would pick mobil 1 full synthetic

Now these rules don't apply to all cars. Some race cars that only see high rpms in the limited times they're being used probably use something with more zinc additives, or race oils with different additives.

From what I've read those oils aren't recommended for daily drivers.

I don't care what car you're driving, I'd stay away from non synthetic oil unless you really don't care about it. Besides synthetics wearing the internals less than regular oil, it also keeps the internals clean.

yes oil is oil, but to say they're all the same would be like saying drinking from the mississippi river is the same as drinking purified bottle water.

you tell me which you'd rather have.

a few years ago I would've picked royal purple as my top choice, but back then it was more of a race oil and wasn't made to go through longer intervals on a daily driver, which I wasn't aware of. Basically the oil breaks down quicker over long intervals. I spun a rod bearing and ruined the crank and never went back. I know now they have a new formula they've said it better for "regular" cars...aka daily drivers, but I'm not taking a chance with them again.

Last edited by inthezoneac; 07-11-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 AM
HCF Member

I don't think anyone is arguing that there aren't various qualities of oil out there. I'm just suggesting that although everyone is fixated on "wear characteristics", I haven't seen any good evidence that demonstrated that they gained a long term benefit worth using these more expensive oils.

Not that I'd advocate running a shady no-name brand which could contained used oil or royal purple which obviously has some problems; but at those high miles, you're going to have a bunch of other crap failing with the car, so the end, would it matter even if you could get another few thousand miles from the engine?

Speaking as someone who keeps their cars on average over 15 years.....

Last edited by boiler1; 07-12-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

doesn't matter what car you put it it, synthetics obviously will help the engine last longer.

Better if you use it on a newer engine.

In your case, why spend $25-$30 for full synthetic oil that you'll change out between 5k-8k miles on average compared to a generic oil that you'll probably want to change out every 3k miles and costs around $12-$15.

Go with synthetic, spend more now, evens out in the long run and your engine won't hate you.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM
HCF Member

No, not really obvious when you're running a synthetic out to 8k and breaking it down to at or below dino oil levels.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 AM
HCF Member

8k really is on the safe side. Realistically you could be safe up to 15,000 like some of them advertise. I do it around 7500 just because I change oil filters every oil change and don't want to push the same filter past that mark.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil verses oil