General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Ok guys... theft protection help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 PM
HCF Member
Default Ok guys... theft protection help.

So my 95 civic sedan automatic was stolen. Fortunately the cops found it and now i have some questions to prevent it from happening again.

So here's what's wrong with the car.

They broke into the driver's lock so i can't lock that door and they bent the steering column (not a big issue).

My biggest worry is what i need to buy and put on the car to prevent it from getting stolen again! I've been told a killswitch, remove the main fuse, get wheel locks/ gear locks/ pedal locks. An alarm..

So what's your guys' best way? I plan to get a killswitch and a wheel lock with an alarm installed. Suggestions?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 AM
HCF Member

you cant really fully protect your car from getting stolen for sure. if someone wants it they will get it. You want security measures that would slow them down or intimidate them that dont want to hassle with stealing your car. Kill switch is an excellent choice if you know how to hide the switch. a 2 way paging alarm with a backup battery should be good. maybe a steering wheel lock and a autoloc would help as well.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:34 AM
HCF Member

"a 2 way paging alarm with a backup battery should be good"

Ups on that. Once I got a two-way alarm with a kill switch the filth quit trying to steal my 88. If you have a detachable face plate on your stereo, be sure to remove it. That was the last and only time my car got broken into since I got the alarm.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 AM

There's no full proof way but there are ways to deter a theif. A good alarm system is a good place to start. Although expensive, very worth it. I have a Viper system with all the little add ons. It has helped save my car, but just barely. Whoever tried to break into my car was smart and they went under the driver side fender, cut the wheel liner and cut the hood latch cable. Luckily, the shock sensor went off and it stopped them. They could have easily popped the hood, cut the battery and my car would be vulnerable. After that, I re-routed the cable through the engine bay and behind the bumper frame(Which I highly suggest everyone does), it's impossible for anyone to reach it from the outside now. I also got the hood tilt sensor installed just in case.

The obvious also keeps away theives. Never leave anything in plain sight. Even CD's, cheap sunglasses, gloves etc...most will go for an easy target so just be smart. Even when I go out to the mall or where ever, I park close to the entrances where there's a lot of traffic. I'd rather take a door ding than park in the dark where there's no one so it's easy to break into my car.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by civicexracer
I re-routed the cable through the engine bay and behind the bumper frame(Which I highly suggest everyone does).
+1. I will be doing this "mod" this summer.

Civicexracer, is there a DIY guide floating around that you know of off hand? I haven't searched yet, just asking.

OP, if you install kill switches, make sure they are not in obvious places. Maybe put a "kill switch" kinda out in the open, but if the theif flips it, the alarm goes off... kinda like an on switch for the alarm?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 AM

Here's Addiction2Bass's DIY Killswitch Thread. OP, it'll give you an idea of how to make a killswitch for your car.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=68897

Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 AM
HCF Member

adictions kill switch = one of the best kill switches i've seen

also for an alarm system its not really about how expensive the system is its about how you install it. don't have the brain of the alarm sitting by the steering column since thats the most common location. DEI makes good systems i have the clifford they also make python and vipers and more.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
+1. I will be doing this "mod" this summer.

Civicexracer, is there a DIY guide floating around that you know of off hand? I haven't searched yet, just asking.

OP, if you install kill switches, make sure they are not in obvious places. Maybe put a "kill switch" kinda out in the open, but if the theif flips it, the alarm goes off... kinda like an on switch for the alarm?
I don't know of any DIY's for this, I just did it when I bought a new cable. It's pretty simple and straight forward.

I don't know about any other generations but atleast for the 5th gen, I found a hole in the firewall almost right behind the clutch pedal that I was able to route the cable through. I had to pull the carpet back to get to it. Once through that hole, I routed it along the shock tower and behind the driver side headlight. I removed the front bumper and from the headlight I routed it through the bumper frame and looped it back to where it connects to the latch. You can't see it or get to it at all from the outside.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
I like the idea of this, but the only fall back is that he can just press is again and shut it off.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 AM

What? If you alarm goes off because of the door being opened, and the door is then shut, the alarm continues to run it's course. If you flip the switch, it would do the same thing.

I've been researching about it and I want to do it with a push start button. The theif would think that's needed to turn the car on, press it and the alarm will sound. lol

Quick Reply: Ok guys... theft protection help.