General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Out with the Old, In with the New.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:01 PM

excuses...

nah, you're just afraid to try

Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 PM
HCF Member

ive always wanted to drive stick..... but sorry not everyone has the time or money to invest

Last edited by my99lx; 11-20-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 AM

It takes barely any time to learn. Manual transmission cars cost less than their automatic counterparts. Got any more invalid excuses?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Angry Admin

o and manual transmissions are way cheaper than auto

edit* just the transmissions.

clarifying

Old 11-21-2009, 10:36 AM
HCF Member

If he wants an auto let him get an auto. There is nothing wrong with that.
I personally like to drive a manual way better, and I wouldn't have it any other way in my car. But it sounds like he is content with an auto. It's his car/choice not everyone else's.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:59 AM

I'm not saying he has to get a manual. I'm saying that if he's afraid to drive one or whatever it is, just admit it instead of making up invalid excuses.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Yeah, pretty much. If he doesn't want a manual, he can just say so. He doesn't have to make up false excuses (automatics are more expensive to repair or replace, and it takes a whopping week of driving stick on a daily basis before you don't even have to think about using the clutch or shifting).

Old 11-21-2009, 01:49 PM
HCF Member

first of all i never made an excuses about not driving a manual. i just dont want it! plain and simple. u guys accused me of making excuses. it has nothing to do with being afraid of driving manual either.

anyways....
Name:  1121091341.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  204.8 KB
Name:  1121091342.jpg
Size:  20.4 KB
Name:  1121091342a.jpg
Size:  44.8 KB
Name:  1121091343.jpg
Size:  125.6 KB
Name:  1121091343a.jpg
Size:  122.1 KB

Old 11-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by my99lx
first of all i never made an excuses about not driving a manual. i just dont want it! plain and simple. u guys accused me of making excuses. it has nothing to do with being afraid of driving manual either.

anyways....
ORLY?

yes but they can be more to repair.... lots more
Excuse #1 (also wrong. If there's something wrong with an auto, a dealership will replace the unit since it's cheaper on both ends to replace rather than to rebuild, and manual transmissions are usually cheaper, especially if you supply your own transmission (yes, most dealerships will install parts if you bring them in. They just won't warranty them). If you find a place to rebuild your transmission, you're talking a ridiculous amount of labor for anything not in the valve body or channel plate, as replacing, for example, burned clutches or a fragged reverse-reaction drum, involves pulling the tree out of the transmission and almost completely disassembling it.)

ive always wanted to drive stick..... but sorry not everyone has the time or money to invest
Excuse #2. Now, I know it's too late, but imagine two identical cars at a dealership, except one is a manual and one an automatic. The manual will be cheaper; they always have been and always will. As far as time, it's about an hour to get the hang of taking off in 1st/manipulating the clutch, and then you just have to practice. And it's not like you have to take time out of your busy schedule to practice; you're driving to get where you're going normally, why is it different just because you're learning something while you're at it?

At any rate, the 8th gen looks nice... I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the wheels. I think I like them, but they seem a bit over-the-top.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

Nice.
Some things to look out for in this new ride,
1: For some reasons, i dont know why, when your front ( driver or pass side) windows are down, you can hear some wind pushing it way between the car and mirrors, it bothers me. This really happens on the highway more then the side roads.

2: While or right after it rains, water loves to sit at the top of your door, so while you are driving and your window is down and you come to a stop, the water will all over you master control switches. I would recommend some window visors.

3:I dont know if this will happen to you, but some times when i stop at a hill and back up to turn around i hear a very loud clunk when i go from R to D, now am just saying this because i have a 8th Gen auto civic, Honda say's its ok, i dont think so.

4: Last, when and if you are in area where it snows ( i see you live in SoCal) get rid of the snow and ice off the roof. Because the roof is at a very nice angle where all that stuff will slide right on your windshield, and you wound be able to see.

Other then that, good luck and have fun with your new wheels.

Quick Reply: Out with the Old, In with the New.....