General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Painted my Valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:34 PM
HCF Member
Default Painted my Valve cover

Everyone's done it so I thought, what the hell........ actually I've wanted to for awhile. Just hadn't found the time because I drive around so much.

I used ImportTuner67's DIYas a guide, except I used a sanding block instead of a block of wood to sand down the letters. He said any acrylic clearcoat will be fine so I didn't use one that said for engine or heat resistant hope theres no problem with that.

Heres a pic of befor and after the paint and sanding.

(I'm still waiting for the clearcoat to set so I don't have a pic of it tottaly finished)

[IMG]local://upfiles/17640/1D6AA8DAD6DC44DFB8A53560A5D0AF6E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17640/8334FB48CDAF4D16AC2A5FF60CE3C4B7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-20-2007, 06:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Painted my Valve cover

Oh man I got a problem....

I tightened down the valve cover bolts and they still seemed to be loose like sort of tight but not to a dead stop. So I asked my dad to check and see if they were tight enough. While tightening the last one it snapped thats right broke in half inside the valve cover.....

I wonder how much this will cost to fix....[:@]

Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Live_4it

Oh man I got a problem....

I tightened down the valve cover bolts and they still seemed to be loose like sort of tight but not to a dead stop. So I asked my dad to check and see if they were tight enough. While tightening the last one it snapped thats right broke in half inside the valve cover.....

I wonder how much this will cost to fix....[:@]
Buy an ez-out and get the bolt out. Go get another bolt put it in. Doesn't look to bad. Is that a glare in the center?

Old 08-20-2007, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

ez-out how does that stuff work? the bolt is broke off pretty deep down there...

the second pic I took when it was dark with my phone camera so it's not so great. I think I should of done one more coat in the center I was careful because I really didn't want any running of the paint around the letters.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
HCF Member

honestly didn't read this..but this could help you out: http://www.dimebank.com/tech/BrokenBolt.html

Old 08-20-2007, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

Would my car be driveable with just 4 of the 5 valve cover bolts holding it down?

If it's going to leak a ton of oil I don't want to drive it around.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Live_4it

Would my car be driveable with just 4 of the 5 valve cover bolts holding it down?

If it's going to leak a ton of oil I don't want to drive it around.
just get the ez-out and get a new bolt at a hardware store or something...dont take the chance of something going wrong over something so stupid.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

i would definitely get all the bolts in before driving it around. nothing good can come of having one missing...though i'm not 100% sure of the possible negatives.

possible compression issues?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Spanky

just get the ez-out and get a new bolt at a hardware store or something...dont take the chance of something going wrong over something so stupid.
Oh ya go to a hardware store and pick up a head cover bolt for a honda civic. wouldn't it be stupid to drive my car down to this hardware store that carries head cover bolts readily?

And using this ez out drill bit which I have never used befor down this very deep hole hacking around down there isn't stupid?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

A bolt from a "hardware" store will NOT have the same torsional tolerances... you will need a new valve cover bolt.

Quick Reply: Painted my Valve cover