General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Painted my Valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Painted my Valve cover

this happend to me once.... good thing it was only the top of the bolt.

try taking your valve cover off... if its at the top, you should have no problem. No nead for the ez out. Just take the rest of the bolts off and check it.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

unfortunately it broke off at just the beginning of the thread on the bolt, so the rest of the tip is tightly screwed into it....

My mechanic told me that I just need to runmy engineand see if there is any oil leaking out, if it does significantly then I shouldn't drive it.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I've been running missing one bolt for a while now... no problems; it basically doesn't leak oil at all (just a wee bit, but nothing to get worried about.. at all.). You should be fine for the time being, but I'd say fix it asap... man, I really need to remember to get that bolt replaced lol.... valve cover looks great btw (though it does look a little familiar lol... check my photo gallery if you don't know what I'm talking about)

Old 08-21-2007, 05:00 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

I've been running missing one bolt for a while now... no problems; it basically doesn't leak oil at all (just a wee bit, but nothing to get worried about.. at all.). You should be fine for the time being, but I'd say fix it asap... man, I really need to remember to get that bolt replaced lol.... valve cover looks great btw (though it does look a little familiar lol... check my photo gallery if you don't know what I'm talking about)
That makes me feel a little better....I made an apointment tomorrow at 11AM to get it done, it's a little bit of a drive so I'm hopeing I wont need to call triple A.

Yea yours has the Vtec on it though :P

Old 08-21-2007, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

yea i did that twice in like 10 min you just tightened them to tight and stretched the bolt and when bolting it in the second time it was so weak it snapped and i drove with 2 missing didnt leak too bad it should only take around 10 min to fix it only took me 15 to back out and replace two

Old 08-21-2007, 06:05 PM
HCF Member

I probably shouldn't go over 4000 rpms right, for like the whole drive their? Or does anyone think lower than that (that will be hard for me to do...)

Old 08-27-2007, 02:23 AM
HCF Member

Well, I brought my car to the dealership 3-4 days agoand dropped it off, they said it was going to be done at three. So around 3:15 that day I call them and the receptionist said that Micheal (the mechanic working on getting the tip of the broken head cover bolt out of the head) tried with a drill to get it out but it was too deep and since the metal is less dense on the head than the drill bit. It would ruin it if they tried rooting around in there. So at first I was a little ticked off and wanted to speak directly to Micheal but aparently he was too buisy.....

So the receptionist told me that I had two options, get a whole new head which obviously would be incredibly expensive..... or they would put this liquid gasket sealant around the valve cover so that it doesn't leak.

I picked the second choice....so I was like am I going to be able to get the valve cover off again if I wanted to down the road? Will this hold up over time well, or go a certain amount of miles and have to be done again?

She said I could pry it off with a flathead if I wanted to and just reaply the liquid gasket again. And assured me it's all good.

Ok so I go down to pick up my car and the bill expecting like atleast the cost to be $85 bucks. She hands me the paper and I see all zeros next to the things they checked and did. I don't believe it and askif shes serious lol.She tells me she felt bad that they couldn't get the bolt out so didn't charge me anything.

So I dunno if it was the 'Snap-On' hat I wore when I dropped it off (I got it when I bought my tools for school)or my angry tone I had on the phone but hey I'm satisfied with the result. Most civics have oil leaks anyways so even if it does a little bit no big deal right?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 AM
June 2010 ROTM

wow!!! Great deal!!! I had a broken vc bolt this winter and the stealership hit me up for 80 bucks.[:@] I can't believe they didn't charge 1939191931 dollars for the liquid gasket and 60 dollars for the labor!!

Getting something fixed at the dealership = priceless...

...then again, now that I think about it, they might not have charged you because incase it should leak down the road (sorry for the cliche, and it shouldn't leak for a long time) they won't be responsible because they didn't "do" anything and thus didn't charge for "doing" anything.