General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Painting a Civic.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:44 PM
HCF Member
Default Painting a Civic.

Hey guys, how much paint would it take to paint a civic, including doorjams and stuff. Doing the paintjob right, with a coat of primer if needed, some coats of color and clear. How many coats of clear and color should be done? Also how many gallons SHOULD it take and how much would it cost for a decent paint? Probably either a black, red, or white. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Painting a Civic.

oh yeah, 2 door ex coup

Old 04-18-2007, 08:55 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

you should only need a gallon of paint to cover the whole car a couple of times. also with the coats of color i dont know, should be a couple and then the same for the clear.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

first off a gallon(paint) will be WAY too much. youll need 3qts tops, because you will reduce it 1to1 so you will end up with 1gallon2qts of sprayable material. secondly RED going to be the most expensive color, black you can get factory packed(99K) for ALOT CHEAPER. Get DuPont Chromabase, best **** out there...PPG sucks something aweful. also get someone to spray it for you!!!!!!! if its your first time you are probably going to end up with problems(orange peel, fisheyes) save yourself the trouble. for the clear you can get Nason which is DuPonts aftermarket brand. the number on it is (496-00) need a gallon of clear. if the car is not at bare metal YOU DONT NEED PRIMER!!!!!!!!!!!! and DONT SAND IT DOWN TO BARE METAL......as soon as the metal hits the air it will start to oxidize and rust, then you will need to get a chemical wash. If your in the NY area come to my shop ill set you up lol. hope this helps

Old 04-19-2007, 09:23 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

ORIGINAL: Strong Island

first off a gallon(paint) will be WAY too much. youll need 3qts tops, because you will reduce it 1to1 so you will end up with 1gallon2qts of sprayable material. secondly RED going to be the most expensive color, black you can get factory packed(99K) for ALOT CHEAPER. Get DuPont Chromabase, best **** out there...PPG sucks something aweful. also get someone to spray it for you!!!!!!! if its your first time you are probably going to end up with problems(orange peel, fisheyes) save yourself the trouble. for the clear you can get Nason which is DuPonts aftermarket brand. the number on it is (496-00) need a gallon of clear. if the car is not at bare metal YOU DONT NEED PRIMER!!!!!!!!!!!! and DONT SAND IT DOWN TO BARE METAL......as soon as the metal hits the air it will start to oxidize and rust, then you will need to get a chemical wash. If your in the NY area come to my shop ill set you up lol. hope this helps
needed 1 gallon for my car, but hey what do i know?

Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 AM

i to needed a gallon but i had a four door u can do it urself i did anddidnt know **** about painting

Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: hondapwr

u can do it urself i did anddidnt know **** about painting
you can, but he was just saying, there is a better chance of geting inperfections in your paint...(runs, orange peel...ect.) if you do it yourself, just take your time and do things right!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

I have always wanted to do it myself.........but once i painted just the bumper and from far away it was perfect lol

Old 04-22-2007, 12:46 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, im in the process of doing mine. Some hard work if your doing the whole thing... give or take the engine bay. im not doing my engine bay just because im not going all out. Just enough for the dents and dings. im doing all the body work myself... and having a pro (one who gets paid) to look it over. Make it cheaper on paint.

Anywas, if your going to do all that.... ::take your time!:: If its a dark color... take even more time than you can think of. Gotta be perfect.

On a side note: How do you guys feel about the new civic si Galaxy Grey Metallic. Thats the color im going with on a 95 ex coupe with si wheels, painted black. blacked out windows and lowered.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

Could I get some suggestions with pictures, of colors. Like, blues, gray/silvers, reds? Whats the cheapest color also, is it black or white?

Quick Reply: Painting a Civic.