General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

parting out my '95 civic...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
HCF Member
Question parting out my '95 civic...worth it?

I had my friend over today who is a Mercedes-Benz mechanic, but whose first job was at a Honda dealership. He's done pretty much every fix on my car in his garage, except for wheel alignment. He thinks it's high time I sell my '95 Civic sedan EX. It has about 158K miles on it (I'm not advertising...just listing specs so you have an idea), new rack & pinion, new struts, new radiator, new starter, fairly new battery, new inner and outer tie-rods. The power locks don't work (never have) and only the driver's side window goes down and the sun-roof works. There are SEVERAL dings (mainly from the Lambo door hinges that were once there denting the body from the inside) and a few dents from minor accidents. Plenty of rust above the wheel well in the rear passenger-side and it's begun rusting on the rear driver's side above that wheel well. The only true modifications to it are an AEM cold air intake (which I know is pointless to be there unless I'm going over 90 on the tollway/highway) and a Greddy catback exhaust, both of which came with the car.

He said he had been keeping an eye out on Craigslist for me lately...for a Civic daily driver, all stock and said I would likely get the most money out of my Civic by parting it out. Luckily, I'm not taking classes again until January and I'm not currently working (just PC fixes at friend's/family's homes on occasion for small change). I have very little mechanic-experience. I'm sure my friend would help if I asked him, so I'll pretend that taking off parts FOR people will not be an obstacle.

Does anyone agree on getting more for parting out than selling the car as a whole or is it just way too much of a hassle?? Thanks.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 AM
HCF Member

Yeah you can get more by just selling your parts here & there...BUT....I really don't see people buying many parts on Craigslist not unless they're nowhere near a junkyard. You can try Ebay but not too sure on that. I would say sell the civic to a high school student or maybe another college student. If your town/city if a college area..someone is gonna say "Oh man!! A Civic for *enter amount here*!! I love Hondas!!".

But that's just me thinking..LOL.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like you already have a decent Civic daily driver. The best deal on a car is almost always the one that you already own, assuming it meets your needs and is not majorly broken.

If a car runs at all and would be legal to drive as it is or with minor repairs, much better to sell it whole than in parts. If someone wants a part of it, make them take the whole car.

Windows and locks not working are likely because of broken wires in the harness to the driver's door. They always rust around the back wheels. Bondo and rattle can time. You could spend a couple hundred putting the intake and exhaust back to stock if you want to. Many of those aftermarket intakes have lousy air filters that don't protect your engine from dust.

Last edited by mk378; 11-10-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 AM

If you decide to part it out, I want the motor!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
HCF Member

And i want your glove box if its a 4 door, and gray interior...lol

Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

Oh man..you guys making offers?!?
Ok I want the driver's seat(if it's the light brown seat) and your window trim pillars(if in good condition)..those suckers are hard to find good in a junkyard!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

NOOOOOOOO! I need the glove box!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

Why not buy a shell with no rust and swap everything over?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 PM
HCF Member
Question

Originally Posted by baker
Why not buy a shell with no rust and swap everything over?
A shell is just the body, right? I don't get it... Are you joking or serious? That would be expensive, wouldn't it?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 PM
HCF Member
Cool

Originally Posted by DaOne
And i want your glove box if its a 4 door, and gray interior...lol
It is a gray interior...heh.

Quick Reply: parting out my '95 civic...worth it?