General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Powershifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 PM
HCF Member
Default Powershifting

I was on my lunch break the other day and I was talking with my co workers about manual cars, and Powershifting came up. This guy kept telling me that all I need to use the clutch for is the first gear, than after that if the RPMs are right you can shift without a clutch, claiming that the clutch would last longer which in a way makes sense since you arent using it as much. They kept bringing up how the race drivers powershift all the time and its perfectly alright.
I am still somewhat new to the manual transmission, even though I can drive very good and have no problems this is my first manual car. I have never powershifted and I really dont plan on doing it, I have been told that you can screw up your tranny if you dont use a clutch to shift.

For the sake of argument, does powershifting hurt your tranny, and is it worth it? Somehow it doesnt feel right to do it.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:41 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Powershifting

ORIGINAL: civicn00b

For the sake of argument, does powershifting hurt your tranny, and is it worth it? Somehow it doesnt feel right to do it.
For a normal tranny,... yes it will... severly... and no it's not worth it

Old 05-31-2008, 06:07 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I don't powershift yet my original clutch lasted until 220,000 mile. I don't think powershifting is a good idea.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well think about this... tranny what 200-500bucks...
clutch 100bucks......

dont destroy your gears, use the clutch thats what its there for.... to take the wear outta the trannys mechanical gears.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

it's possible to do if the RPMs are right, but if a clutch wasn't necesarry, why would your car have a clutch?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

Dont do it on your car. Trailers shift that way, but their transmission is super heavy duty

Old 06-01-2008, 03:02 PM
HCF Member

its a good thing to know in case you clutch stops working for whatever reason, like your hydraulic lines leaked while you were at the mall and you have to get home. i had just bleed the clutch and i guess i didn't tighten the bleeder all the way or it came loose but when i came out, no clutch, didn't notice til i grind the gears a little, good thing i started in neutral, but i got home fine and i didn't have to have someone get me and take me home to get one tool

Old 06-01-2008, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

Yea your clutch might last longer but your transmission will hate you. Don't do it.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya the cost of a clutch VS new tranny. NO BRAINER!

even if your cars clutch wont release you can just throw it in 1st or 2nd gear and drive kinda slow.LOL but id rather take forever to get home than tear the teeth off the inside gears!